It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 2:05 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Secondary effects of arc flash exposure
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:22 am 

Hi

I am conducting a study to determine what the secondary effects of exposure to an electrical arc flash is on the human body. Specifically on the gasses that the person inhales - which in turn affects the lungs.

Is there any company or medical group which has already conducted such a study? I would like to see if the people suffered long term effects (maybe developed problems such as sinusitis, asthma, cancer?)

My goal is to improve our company's after incident care system - even suggest better PPE.

Regards

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:45 pm 
Sparks Level

Arc Flash and Lung Damage

I have tried to get a study of this for some time and even have pricing on doing a characterization of arc flash smoke from different electrodes, offgassing of different hood materials etc but haven't been able to get funding.

Most of the studies of off gases of materials are directed at competition or liability rather than application science so they have little use other than to tell you what the off gases are. I have two studies I have received but they are total gases in a very small enclosed space at different temperatures for long periods of exposure which are unrealistic for a normal arc flash event.

Anecdotally I know of very few lung issues from arc events (three deaths from lung burns that I know of out of over 150 incidents I have been involved in) and all of them have been from fire inhalation rather than smoke.

Profile Send private message