It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 8:09 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Comprehensive Electrical Safety Program
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:26 am 

I am reaching out to the forum here asking for some help in locating a good example of a comprehensive safety program. Recently while talking with a group of electricians I was asked what is included in a comprehensive electrical safety program? My response was it is the governing document that your company has created to cover safe electrical work practices, maintenence and testing. Then they asked if I had an example...... o_O I know one can be developed using the standards but was hoping to get back to this group with an example fairly quickly. I was hoping someone on here would be kind enough to send me a good example or point me in a direction of a good example.? I appreciate any help.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 am 
Sparks Level

It depends on where you are located. There is of course NFPA 70E and CFR 29 , but each state may have additional specific standards as well. I am located in North Carolina, so I got a copy of the NCDOL Guide to Electrical Safety and the NCDOL Guide to Working with Electricity from http://www.nclabor.com/pubs.htm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 am 
Sparks Level

Electrical safety program assessment from ESFI.
http://esfi.org/index.cfm?pid=12456&&stCode=live&preview=yes&cdid=12472

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:55 am 

If you contact ALCOA's (the aluminum company) corporate safety department, they will probably send you a copy of theirs. They have been a long time proponent of safety awareness and have offered help to other companies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:00 am 

There is a pretty good manual available named "Implementing the Electrical Safety Program" by Ray and Jane Jones, published by the NFPA. Covers the following
  • Program Introduction
  • Site Asssessment
  • Installations
  • Task Assessments and Hazard/Risk Analysis
  • PPE
  • Procedures and Plans
  • Permits and Job Briefings
  • Training
  • Auditong, and
  • Budgets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 am 
Sparks Level

FFoote wrote:
I was asked what is included in a comprehensive electrical safety program? My response was it is the governing document that your company has created to cover safe electrical work practices, maintenence and testing. Then they asked if I had an example...... o_O .

I would argue that you are wrong,...or at least incomplete. While a "comprehensive electrical safety program" probably can not exist with out a governing document, the document by itself, is incapable of creating the program. At a minimum it involves fostering, supporting ( and quite frequently creating in the first place) a culture that actually CARES about safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:14 am 

I have been involved with and every code cycle revising our policy for the last 15 years. I believe in it 100%, but the problem with any policy is following it 100% of the time everytime! You can write it to either the NFPA70E standard or OSHA CFR29(which uses the 70E anyways) or to what you deem unsafe in your workplace. There are very specific guidelines you need to follow in the NFPA70E because if there were to be an electrical incident and OSHA investigates, they will use every rule and cite you for any that you are in violation of. Document every training class/tailgate or any other employee involvement with electrical safety with names and dates. Have a minimum of yearly audits on all employees. Every job should have documented safety briefings. "The filing cabinet gets full"!! I cannot attach our policy because of our fire wall, but you can send me your email and I will send it to you. You may not deal with any of the voltages that we do or maybe even more. Remember that the NFPA 70E covers anything over 50V. I use the NFPA70E and therefore the policy refers to it exclusively without rewriting everything to include everything in the NFPA70E..
Send me a private message for e-mail response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:09 pm 

Have you tried ESPS Electrical Safety Program Solutions Inc.? They have over 200 Clients and experience developing comprehensive electrical safety programs for the past 7 years. Terry Becker P.Eng. is currently in Savannah at the NFPA 70E Technical Committee meetings. The website is [url='http://www.esps.ca']www.esps.ca[/url].

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:27 pm 

gastoor, I would really appreciate seeing a copy of your program as well. I have written one for us (we do building maintenance) and am just trying to see if it is complete enough. I used NFPA 70E as the guide, and am now just refining it to make sure it complies with NFPA 70E 2012. Do you mind sending it to me also? My email is [email protected], or if you want to put it on Google Drive and give me rights to share it, I can grab it from there. Thank you so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:47 pm 

I agree with Larry's comment above. Where are you located? Will your program be based on NFPA 70E, or are you located in Canada in which the reference document will be CSA Z462?