It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Minimum PPE on Label?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:07 pm 

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:26 am
Posts: 46
Location: CA
Has anyone added a statement to AF warning labels that a minimum PPE level of Category 2, or 3, is required, eventhough IE is less than 4, or 8, cal/cm2? How did you state it?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:57 pm 
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
ZeroSeq wrote:
Has anyone added a statement to AF warning labels that a minimum PPE level of Category 2, or 3, is required, eventhough IE is less than 4, or 8, cal/cm2? How did you state it?


Huh? Please rephrase that, I am not sure what you are asking. You dont mix HRC's and Ei's from your study and even if you did your examples dont match up.

You can require anything you want for PPE as long as it meets the minimum requirements based on the results of your analysis. Does that help?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:26 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:26 am
Posts: 46
Location: CA
Zog,
You are correct. "You can require anything you want for PPE as long as it meets the minimum requirements based on the results of your analysis."

My concern is, labels now require calculated IE values. How do you state, on the label, that even though the IE values imply HRCs of 0 or 1, management requires you to wear PPE rated 8 cal/cm2 or higher while working on this device?

I was looking for examples of how it could be stated in very few words.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:37 am 
Arc Level

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 428
Location: Spartanburg, South Carolina
ZeroSeq wrote:
Zog,
You are correct. "You can require anything you want for PPE as long as it meets the minimum requirements based on the results of your analysis."

My concern is, labels now require calculated IE values. How do you state, on the label, that even though the IE values imply HRCs of 0 or 1, management requires you to wear PPE rated 8 cal/cm2 or higher while working on this device?

I was looking for examples of how it could be stated in very few words.


Just say that the incident energy is less than or equal to 8 cal/cm². It doesn't matter what the actual value is if it is less than 8 cal/cm² and management wants to use PPE rated for 8 cal/cm².


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm 
Sparks Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:00 pm
Posts: 283
Location: Louisville, KY
There are two things you want on the label to define IE.

1. IE=X cal/cm2
2. Working Distance.

If you look at IE definiton in 70E you will see IE is always at a specific working distance. This is important so the worker understands the study's assumptions.

Most label softwares include LOTS of extra info that can be useful but confusing or extraneous.

Warning Arc Flash and Shock Hazard (in Orange some choose Red)
Incident Energy = X cal/cm2
Working Distance = X inches (ft., cm, m etc).


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 am 
Plasma Level

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am
Posts: 1103
Location: Charlotte, NC
elihuiv wrote:
If you look at IE definiton in 70E you will see IE is always at a specific working distance. This is important so the worker understands the study's assumptions.


Couldn't agree more with this, I have seen many labels without the assumed working distance and in my eyes the Ei value has little meaning without it. When I see a 480V substation with an Ei of 39.6 cal/cm2 and no assumed working distance, my first thought is someone fudged the working distance to get the Ei < 40cal/cm2.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
© 2019 Arcflash Forum / Brainfiller, Inc. | P.O. Box 12024 | Scottsdale, AZ 85267 USA | 800-874-8883