It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:08 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: HRG and arc flash
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:04 am 
Plasma Level

OK, I get how an HRG system works and how it can limit the GF current ona pahse to ground arc flash. I also get how that can reduce the chance of a phase to ground arc from becoming a phase to phase fault. But even though the odds are reduced do you see any reduction in a phase to phase arcing fault? When you do your analysis on a HRG system and do the 3 phase calcs, are they not the same as a non-HRG system would be?

Feel I am missing something here.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:32 am 
Sparks Level

That is the way I understand it. The HRG sysrem can decrease the likelyhood of a 3 phase arc, but when doing the analysis, treat it like a solidly grounded system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:10 am 
Arc Level

Zog wrote:
When you do your analysis on a HRG system and do the 3 phase calcs, are they not the same as a non-HRG system would be?

Correct, treat as ungrounded.

As JJH mentioned, an HRG reduces the probability that a GF will escalate into a 3-phase L-L fault.

So do we open the discussion of 'interaction that could cause an arc flash'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:32 pm 
Plasma Level

Sounds like I do have it sorted out right, just checking, thanks.

HRG systems are being marketed as a mitigation solution, but while they do reduce the chance of an arc flash, they do not reduce the severity.

So, will the 70E committe consider HRG systems in thier risk based tables as a lower risk and HRC? Hmmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:47 am 
Plasma Level

Zog wrote:
Sounds like I do have it sorted out right, just checking, thanks.

HRG systems are being marketed as a mitigation solution, but while they do reduce the chance of an arc flash, they do not reduce the severity.

So, will the 70E committe consider HRG systems in thier risk based tables as a lower risk and HRC? Hmmmm.

The next revision cycle for NFPA 70E will be here before you know it. Sounds like you need to submit a proposal :)

I see the HRG marketing approach all the time. IMHO it is a bit misleading because as you point out, it only reduces the liklihood of an event not the event itself. It is a good approach since L-G faults are the overwhelming majority of fault conditions so the liklihood of the arc flash is reduced.

However, something that is frequenly missed is if the fault begins as L-L and escalates to 3 phase or if it begins as 3 phase, the incident energy is actually GREATER with both HRG and ungrounded systems according to IEEE 1584 calculations. You never see that "minor detail" mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 am 

Just curious here. Of those that use HRG or ungrounded systems, how long does it take before you go looking for the fault?

I hear sometimes due to other more pressing issues, the GF indicator is sometimes percieved as not always that urgent - until the next GF occurs. I would think you want to find it ASAP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:26 am 
Plasma Level

G. Brown wrote:
Just curious here. Of those that use HRG or ungrounded systems, how long does it take before you go looking for the fault?

I hear sometimes due to other more pressing issues, the GF indicator is sometimes percieved as not always that urgent - until the next GF occurs. I would think you want to find it ASAP.

If I had a dollar for every time I had this discussion with a facility I would be a rich man. Half the time these places do not even have working light bulbs in thier GF indicators. :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:44 am 

That has been my experience too. Just wondered about everyone else. I think it is a matter of, if everything is still running and I don't see any smoke, it must be OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 am 

Was at a job site years ago. I mentioned light out on the ground fault detection system and asked if they have a ground fault. The answer was "no, I just think I need to replace the bulb" :eek:

I wasn't sure what to say next but then slowly begain to explain it all. Needless to say, he was amazed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:48 pm 
Sparks Level

Zog wrote:
If I had a dollar for every time I had this discussion with a facility I would be a rich man. Half the time these places do not even have working light bulbs in thier GF indicators. :eek:

And whaqt about the sites that have a "ground fault" every spring when the snow melts and improves the conductivity in their grid? One client has been living with it for 30 years...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:57 am 
Plasma Level

glen1971 wrote:
And whaqt about the sites that have a "ground fault" every spring when the snow melts and improves the conductivity in their grid? One client has been living with it for 30 years...

Death, taxes, and spring ground faults :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:13 pm 

glen1971 wrote:

Reminds me of the story about the dog and the ground rod (and the inappropriate shock) :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:13 am 

What is a HRG system ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:50 am 
Plasma Level

High Resistance Grounding. It is used to limit ground fault current on low voltage systems. Typically to around 5 or 10 amps by grounding through a large resistor.

Medium voltage systems use low resistance grounding if they use grounding resistors. This allows a larger amount of current, typically 400-600 Amps to flow which is need since the capacitive current at higher voltages cancels the inductive current of a short circuit. i.e. Short circuit current is mostly inductive since the only impedance is from transformers, conductors etc. that are highly inductive.

Impedance grounded systems are good for limiting ground fault current and since the great majority of short circuits / arc flash, begin as ground faults, they are eliminated (greatly reduced) too. The downside is if an arc flash begins as three phase or phase-phase, the incident energy could be slightly higher with an HRG or LRG (low resistance grounded) system.

This might help:

[url="http://www.brainfiller.com/documents/GroundingPower.pdf"]HRG Article[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:35 pm 
Sparks Level

G. Brown wrote:

We send electricians to investigate the same shift the ground fault is reported. Typically we will go to the operations department and report a ground fault on xxx equipment, spend a few days convincing them to take the equipment out of service, then the ground fault escalates into a phase to phase fault, blows a cable, lighting transformer, etc. and we're ready to change the faulted equipment by the time that happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:13 am 
Sparks Level

Hopefully the equipment that has the ground fault is properly grounded or else a person touching the equipment could become the ground path. :eek: