It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:49 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Qualified workers
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:07 am 

I believe that it is not clear in nfpa 70e about who and what a worker can do with reguards to electrical work . So many workers think because we are listed as a qualified worker we can do any electrical work that comes up. No one was an electrician before being trained as qw . We have guys who were given a small job and turn it into something big and chang the installation to what they think it should be.
There is nobody to tell them they can't do it. So if they shut off all electricity to the work and if it works when they turn power back on ' it most be good '.
Is this not the managements concern to clear up?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:23 am 
Plasma Level

Yes it is managements concern. You won't find "electrician" in the 70E standard. The 70E qualifications have nothing to do with being an electrician. And being deemed qualified per the 70E requirements does not make you qualified to do electrical work, only specific tasks safely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:14 pm 

If electrician is not in 70e how do the qaulified workers get seperated in the work place when some QW were hired as electricians befor 70e came part of safety in the work place? It is had to say i am a QW when doing electrical work when you were always an electrician. Who in the company can classifiey a QW as qaulified to say wire a control panel or put in a panelboard and wire in all circuits, troubleshoot ? Electricians who have passed electrical exams given in the state and licensed by the state. Who and how are they qaulified ?
Thanks .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:44 pm 

If electrician is not in 70e how do the qaulified workers get seperated in the work place when some QW were hired as electricians befor 70e came part of the company? It is had to say i am a QW when doing electrical work when you were always an electrician. Now we are told it doesn.t matter. Who in the company can classifiey a QW as qaulified to say wire a control panel or put in a panelboard and wire in all circuits, troubleshoot ? Electricians who have passed electrical exams given in the state and licensed by the state. Who and how are they qaulified ?
Thanks .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:51 pm 

If electrician is not in 70e how do the qaulified workers get seperated in the work place when some QW were hired as electricians befor 70e came part of the company? It is had to say i am a QW when doing electrical work when you were always an electrician. Now we are told it doesn.t matter. Who in the company can classifiey a QW as qaulified to say wire a control panel or put in a panelboard and wire in all circuits, troubleshoot ? Electricians who have passed electrical exams given in the state and licensed by the state. Who and how are they qaulified ?
Thanks .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:45 pm 
Arc Level

Being qualified in the eyes of NFPA 70E does not, and is not intended to, make a person an electrician. NFPA70E clearly says that a qualified person knows how to perform their specific job safely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:57 am 

A note in our procedure states, "An employee qualified for one task may not be qualified for another." I believe this is a paraphrase from either 70E or the Handbook.

My understanding is that it is up to the Company to provide needed training and to determine who's qualified. You may have guys that are only qualified to change a receptacle and others that are qualified to do a Panelboard installation, i.e. licensed electricians.

My experience thus far in getting a procedure in place is that there are many people willing to offer advice, many experienced and helpful folks are on this forum, but the final decision making on how to proceed it up to each individual company. That is of course unless it is in direct contradiction with 70E.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:18 am 
Sparks Level

Side Note: I think this got posted in the wrong thread......should have been in the 70E discussion and not the NESC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:24 am 

At our plant, each employee is already familiar with a job qualifications statement. These statements list the actions and responsibilities of each position. Would it be "legal" to add the electrical to this, or would it need to be a seperate training form? How would OSHA interprete this? Example: A set-up man needs to open a 120V control panel to adjust an amplifier. If his job qualifications statement "qualifies" him to do this with the proper PPE, would my company be legal by not having a seperate form? Sorry if this is confusing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:13 am 
Arc Level

1sparkygirl wrote:
If his job qualifications statement "qualifies" him to do this with the proper PPE, would my company be legal by not having a seperate form?

His 'job description' simply authorizes him to perform the work as part of his normal tasks. He becomes qualified to do the electrical portion by being trained, per NFPA70E, in the hazards associated with the tasks.

Analogy.
My state driver's license qualifies me to drive a company pickup truck, however it does not authorize me to do so. My job requirements, allow me to drive all company vehicles, but additional training, beyond an automobile, is required before I can actually operate a forklift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:31 pm 

I understand that he needs training per NFPA 70E. I guess what I am trying to understand is, what if he is not qualified to do his job until he recieves training? If that is all on one form, would that be acceptable? Does OSHA want to see seperate paperwork? On our job qualifications statements, it is in a checklist form. Example: Does employee know where the broom is? (Y/N) Does employee understand the proper use of broom? (Y/N) Has employee completed NFPA 70E training for job? (Y/N) Would that be acceptable?