It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:45 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Who pays?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:31 pm 
Arc Level

I've read over [url="http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=20094"]the OSHA final rule[/url] a few times, and still cannot determine their position on payment for arc rated FR clothing. Neither 70E or NESC have been adopted by OSHA, leaving only the the OSHA clothing shall not increase injury. But by requiring FR, a company is ensuring clothing is worn that will not burst into flame and thereby increase injury.

1. How do you interpret the OSHA final rule as it relates to NESC required clothing?

2. Regardless of your stance on item 1, what is your company doing is this regard?

Thanks.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:02 pm 

One Utility's Perspective

My utility is footing the bill to put employees into FR gear. We have two classes of employees, and each has a different plan. We instituted an 8 cal. minimum across the board. We're located in Alaska, so the milder temps should not make the weights of the materials a serious issue. There was a little grumbling at first .... but I just don't understand why anyone would grumble about having your employer pay for ALL of your work-clothing as an effort to protect you from harm. Maybe thats why I'm just an engineer. :)

(1) Linemen, techs, and other employees that are potentially exposed on a daily basis get a pretty generous allowance in year 1, and they also get a pretty good allowance in the following years for replacement. They show up every day ready to go. Temps will get a monthly allowance.
(2) Engineers and other personnel that are infrequently exposed get a one-time allowance. It essentially pays for a set of coveralls and a wintercoat.

We provide two manufacturer catalogs, and we have an approved list of the items our utility will pay for. We are also enforcing no melting materials underneath, but I don't know who has been delegated to be the underwear inspector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:46 pm 
Plasma Level

stevenal wrote:
I've read over [url="http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_id=20094"]the OSHA final rule[/url] a few times, and still cannot determine their position on payment for arc rated FR clothing. Neither 70E or NESC have been adopted by OSHA, leaving only the the OSHA clothing shall not increase injury. But by requiring FR, a company is ensuring clothing is worn that will not burst into flame and thereby increase injury.

1. How do you interpret the OSHA final rule as it relates to NESC required clothing?

2. Regardless of your stance on item 1, what is your company doing is this regard?

Thanks.

Here you go, read this. http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...TER&p_id=20094