It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:28 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Question for Brainfiller or a committee member:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:25 pm 
Arc Level

The present 2007 rule only deals with clothing/clothing systems. Will 2012 add other arc rated PPE requirements, such as face shields, goggles, etc? Thanks.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 pm 
Plasma Level

Great Question! I was just talking with a few people last week at a utility conference. Right now I am not sure if there will be additional requirements - I have to think there might be but I don't think it is that far along yet. The NESC seems to use the approach of leaving a lot of the selection up to the employer.

One of the issues we discussed last week was the use of face shields. I think it might still be left up to the utilities to decide as they do now. A problem that was discussed was using a face shield up in a bucket truck - where it can be windy. The thought was wind and a face shield don't mix - anyone here with line experience might be able to add to that.

I'm sure some of the other utility people can add their views as well. If I hear of anything concrete about the next revision I'll be sure to post it here. If any of the other forum members hear anything, I'm sure they'll do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 pm 
Sparks Level

Stevenal,
I am sure you remember that we had a discussion a few months back about the proposed tables for the NESC, and currently there is no provision for face shields, so I expect you are looking for am update. At least one of the committee members was upset about that, but as it stands for now, no face shields are recommended for 2012. I have to agree with the current proposal for the high voltage portions of the systems. I have yet to see a system that I would recommend a face shield for the overhead high voltage work. Just completed a study on a line at 12.470 kV with 13,200 amps available at the bus and all calcs for ie were less than 2. Not sure where we need to be for the low voltage yet though. We need more test data. I think we all know that the 480 volt portion is the worst we face!

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:20 am 
Arc Level

Thanks. I also have my doubts about the face shield when working aloft with sleet blowing sideways. A class I attended last December suggested goggles with a balaclava instead. Still unsure if this will be accepted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:58 pm 
Sparks Level

NESC and Clothing

NESC is a lot different committee than NFPA 70E. It is mostly utility driven and tends to be a little slower to move.

They are also dealing with the issues you mentioned. Basically NESC does leave a lot up to the employer. There are a lot of utilities moving toward more face protection for the tasks which have the most exposure such as utility meter service in 480V. I don't think the committee will make any mandatory prescriptions because of the politics. It is a reasonable standard which is removing ignition which is the biggest killer in arc flash in utilities. But the standard recognizes as utilities that SHOCK is their biggest killer.
The most effective things to do is to de-energize, verify absence of voltage, lock out/tag out and ground, prevent ignition of clothing, cover up all exposed energized parts possible and make use of insulated gloves/sleeves etc and increase the distance with insulated tools. Most fatalities are prevented just by doing this in T&D.