It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:51 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: AF Study for Selected Buses in SKM
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:08 am 

Hi All,

I've got an existing AF study for a building with 500+ buses and a project is adding a few lighting panels w/o any significant equipment (no motors >50hp) etc. I have been tasked with providing an arc flash study for the ~20 new buses.

Does anyone know of a way in SKM to limit the buses the Arc Flash Study displays? Obviously the building and all equipment inside should be considered for the study, but these new panels do not impact existing ratings and I'd rather not sort through 500 buses to pick out the ones who need new labels.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: AF Study for Selected Buses in SKM
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:37 am 
Arc Level

wgevans wrote:
....I'd rather not sort through 500 buses to pick out the ones who need new labels.

I always name my new buses with unique first characters, like an * or 999. then It is easy to sort any SKM output to develop my tables.
Sometimes I remove the special characters before the fianl report is written, and other times the customer has used them to identify the changes on the one-line, like a revision history.

Before i begin another update, i remove the special characters form the previous model and then follow the same process.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:16 am 

Thanks, JBD. That sounds like a good work around.

I was hoping to be able to sort (like your workaround allows), without changing panel names so I can still print labels accurately. That said I think a "_" at the beginning of a panel name should be acceptable. "R4A" and "_R4A" shouldn't be too confusing in the field.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:38 am 
Arc Level

wgevans wrote:
Thanks, JBD. That sounds like a good work around.

I was hoping to be able to sort (like your workaround allows), without changing panel names so I can still print labels accurately. That said I think a "_" at the beginning of a panel name should be acceptable. "R4A" and "_R4A" shouldn't be too confusing in the field.

Yeah, I print from a spreadsheet not from the software output, so I am always able to sort and clean up my label names.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:09 am 

A couple ways you can do this:
- In the one-line, select the buses along with the upstream protective device that you want to see in the report, Right Click on the one-line and select "Go To Arc Flash Report". Only devices that were selected will appear in the report. Note that if the panel has a main breaker, I have had issues with SKM not reporting the lineside calculation if the upstream device is not selected as well.

-Create a User Defined Field called "Revision" for all devices. Any components that are part of this revision should be assigned the same revision such as "A". Then after the arc flash evaluation is ran, you can create a query based on this revision field to only show buses that are part of that revision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:46 am 

Another way to handle this is by using a few features in SKM PTW. These are the Data Visualizer, Global Changes, and the User Defined Fields.

First, before you add any new components to the existing model, open it and go into the Options>User-Defined Fields and select Component. Then create a new field called something like "CREATOR" or "Revision" whatever you want to call it. This field will be available on all components and can be used in Data Blocks and the Data Visualizer like any other field.

Second, using the Data Visualizer, select every component in the existing model. Use the Data Visualizer Datablock to display the CREATOR field. Select all the cells and right click and use the Global Change to change them all to "Existing" or whatever you like. When you create new components, you can update the CREATOR field with "New" or whatever you would like.

Now with any study, you can use the Data Visualizer to display and sort results based on the CREATOR field using the Query tool or by exporting the results to a spreadsheet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 am 

cthingvold wrote:
A couple ways you can do this:
- In the one-line, select the buses along with the upstream protective device that you want to see in the report, Right Click on the one-line and select "Go To Arc Flash Report". Only devices that were selected will appear in the report. Note that if the panel has a main breaker, I have had issues with SKM not reporting the lineside calculation if the upstream device is not selected as well.

This was the method I was trying to remember. Thank you! In the future I will try the user defined fields method.

I appreciate the help everyone.