It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:58 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Modeling a generator in SKM for Coordination Studies
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:48 pm 

I have a 200KW Diesel Generator Set and I want to model it in SKM. I have both decrement curve and thermal damage curve. Does anyone have step by step modeling steps or a tutorial to model the generator in SKM? I am new!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:27 am 

Anyone? :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm 
Arc Level

tasamy wrote:
I have a 200KW Diesel Generator Set and I want to model it in SKM. I have both decrement curve and thermal damage curve. Does anyone have step by step modeling steps or a tutorial to model the generator in SKM? I am new!

I have always found the Help function in SKM very useful. Most of my issues have been only when I need to make engieering assumptions about missing data.

What have you tried so far? Is there a specific area giving you problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:32 pm 

There are a couple of ways to do this. I presume that you wish to display the decrement curve on your TCC.

One way is to enter all of the generator data into the fields on captor. (X"d x'd, time constant..etc) this requires a fairly detailed cutsheet. I believe it allows default values for a given size.

The other way is to create a custom device in the ptw library. You enter the points from your decrement data and reference this device as your generator. It will plot your decrement exactly as it would a fuse or breaker curve. There are standard decrement curves that you may copy and edit
I don't have the program in front of me, so I am speaking vaguely. But I agree with the previous poster that the online help is very detailed. If you are stuck, the support folks at SKM may also be helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:19 pm 

I tried to enter the decrement curve in a special device. The software arranged the points by current which changed the shape of the curve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm 

I don't understand what you mean by shifting the points. You should have modeled your special device in coordinates of time vs current.

It may have looked different on the logarithmic scales than a linear plot but it should have only shifted if your tcc reference voltage differed from your generator voltage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:31 am 

The best is to get the gen set O and M binder and locate/enter the data as Ex twidget stated.

This link also has a lot of usefull topics, including some on modeling different components:
http://www.skm.com/support.shtml