It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:28 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Software upgrade does not load
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 am 

Have used ETAP 7.52 installed with no problems. Installed ETAP 11 - it will not load, nothing happens when you double click on the shortcut or the ETAPS.exe file. Any fixes or resolutions?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:26 am 

Note: running Windows XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 am 
Sparks Level

Kyle wrote:
Note: running Windows XP

Have you contacted ETAP? What did they say, they are usually pretty good about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:11 pm 
Plasma Level

Kyle wrote:
Have used ETAP 7.52 installed with no problems. Installed ETAP 11 - it will not load, nothing happens when you double click on the shortcut or the ETAPS.exe file. Any fixes or resolutions?

I just received the following information via e-mail. It is always best to contact the software vendor for help.

Here is what was contained in the e-mail:

User needs to contact ETAP Technical Support directly. [url='http://support.etap.com/']http://support.etap.com[/url]
Dear ETAP User,

We are pleased to announce the launch of the ETAP Help Desk. This technical support site provides an online portal to create and track inquires related to ETAP software as well as access to an extensive and growing FAQ database and downloadable content. Note that e-mail technical support questions are no longer supported.

1. Use the following link to sign up and login:[url='http://support.etap.com/'][color=#0000f6]http://support.etap.com[/url][/color]
2. Register as a new ETAP Help Desk user
3. Enter the required information for verification and activation of your account
[SIZE=3]·Please use company e-mail address [/size]
[SIZE=3]·ETAP Serial Number can be found in ETAP software “Help” menu under “About ETAP”[/size]
[SIZE=3]·A 4-digit Pin # is required for phone access [/size]

FAQ database will be made accessible to you within 48 business-hours from the time you register.

[SIZE=3]Please contact[email='[email protected]'][color=#4a442a][email protected][/email]with questions regarding the registration process.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=3]ETAP Help Desk[/size]
[SIZE=3]-----end of message from ETAP------[/size]

[SIZE=3]Note - this is a repost from an email that I received.[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:35 pm 
Sparks Level

Your not alone. I hate to tell you but there is no fix. I have the same problem along with others... 7.5.2 runs ok but when I loaded ver 11 it won't launch on my xp machine, sp3. I spend allot of time with Etap support and was handed off to their principal software engineer. Apparently etaps.exe gets halfway through its load sequence and stops for some unknown reason. After spending many hours exchanging email files, Go-To-Meetings, disabling antivirus, checking for malware, send me a new USB dongle and software CD, bla bla bla. You name it we did it. He finally gave up and claimed it's my machine NOT their program. Geee... thanks. The quirky thing is ver 11 will run on some XP machines but but not others. He couldn't explain why 7.5.2 runs but not ver 11. I started off with ver 6.0 so I'm a long time user. Every program on my xp machine including Etap 7.5.2 runs ok except ver 11. BTW, Etap 11 runs ok on my windows 7 pro machine. Etap support did tell me (by accident) others are having the same problem. Bottom line is Etap 11 is flawed and OTI refuses to admit or fix it. The customer support use to be top notch but has hit the skids and is pretty bad especially considering the pricy cost of OTI's service agreement. Consider yourself lucky to speak to a service tech that isn't English challenged. Programming is also subject to question. As example Etap cable library is listed as using NEC data for x/r, amp ratings, impedance, etc. Yet the cable library data doesn't agree with any NEC table I can find. Again I called support they couldn't answer why the data didn't agree with NEC as they claimed. They said they use manufacture's cut sheets for wire data. Your kidding right??? So apparently OTI is referencing NEC electrical tables and substituting their own numbers. 6.0 is a good program but when the 7.x versions started being released it's been a series of of programing boondoggles... including the version shipped with corrupt license managers. They are in the process of releasing ver 11.1 so its anyone's guess what that will do or even run?? One of my co-workers jokingly said Etap ver 11 should be renamed to Spinal Tap ver 11. My advise is NOT to use ver 11 and stick with 7.5.2 until OTI can figure out why it won't launch on XP machines. In reality there is very little note worthy I can see in Etap 11 - like the "new" do-nothing busway function - to risk upgrading to something with a high probability it won't run on an XP machine. So if you like hours of frustration, functions that don't work and poorly designed GUI then Etap 11 is your ticket. Kyle... it's not your xp machine, its Etap ver 11. EasyPower and SKM must be loving this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:24 pm 

[SIZE=3]I am an ETAP Support Engineer and I noticed your post. ETAP 11 has been installed by thousands of users and currently has encountered only 2 remaining open issues with the installation. Please continue to work with our user support team to resolve this issue with your laptop. We cannot duplicate your installation problem because of a possible interface by a third-party software in your particular laptop. Please continue to follow the instructions that are discussed with you and we do hope to resolve this problem as soon as possible. [/size]

[SIZE=3]Kyle, is your issue resolved?[/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:39 am 
Sparks Level

Interesting reply. Etap is claiming they only have one (me) or two (Kyle) customers out of "thousands" that have a problem. That statement is difficult to believe.

Clearly this forum isn't for product bashing. However I think it's important to alert other users or prospective users of a product problem and poor customer service issues. Its a public forum to share experiences and no different than product reviews on Amazon.

Up until a couple of days ago Etap didn't know this forum existed. The Etap support engineer that posted here was made aware that forum members were posting about Etap 11 not launching. So his statement "I noticed" is misleading.

The "3rd party software conflict" claim is IMHO an excuse for sloppy Etap programming. If Etap 11 can't play well with other software like Etap 7.5.2 seems to do just fine that tells me it Etap 11 problem.

I was first told it's malware (no malware found), then antivirus program (shut off antivirus), then it was a legacy modem driver (driver removed - same problem), the list goes on and on. At the end of the day Etap support is absolutely clueless.

I realize all software isn't without it's glitches but when you have ONE program, right out of the box, that won't launch on a XP, SP3 desktop machine the problem is software.

I spent hours... no wait... days dealing with Etap service to get, "I don't know... it's your problem not ours" response. This is after getting several famous, "We will get back to you" and not hear from them for days. Or right in the middle of a phone call with the service tech being told, "I have to go to a meeting" then get hung up on.

Out of frustration I move to a Windows 7 machine and gave up going no place fast with customer support. Which was huge problem because my company uses XP Pro platform not Windows 7. BTW... The yearly maintenance & support contract is $1300. Makes you wonder what Etap is doing with the money?

Etap 11 should be shipped with a disclaimer... "This product may not run on XP OS. Use at your own risk". Or better yet... "Remove all software from pc before installing Etap 11 as this product may not run do to 3rd party conflicts".

Sadly Kyle unless Etap's customer support can fix the problem the only choices are 1) Stick with Etap 7.5.3; 2) Buy Windows 7 and ditch XP, or 3) Go with SKM or Easypower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:31 pm 

geh7752, I have been using ETAP for over ten years and am currently running ETAP 11 on XP sp3 and did not have any trouble installing or running the software. There are some great improvements to the software particularly in the short-circuit and Arc Flash analysis module. In all the years I have been using the software their technical support has always been first class, they have never let a problem go unresolved. There have been times where issues have been passed off to someone with more expertise, but never have they not resolved an issue.

I have seen first hand what they are doing with the money. Operation Technology Inc, (developer of ETAP) has a very large staff of first class engineers continuously making the program better. If you ever have a chance to attend one of their classes at their offices you will be impressed with what they are doing in software development and the level of expertise they have on staff.

I have a hard time believing you are an ETAP user, especially based on your problems and comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:55 pm 
Sparks Level

JohnnyT... I'm glad your ver 11 loaded and ran ok. I'm sure you will agree everyone has a right to their opinion unless you are one of those myopic minded individuals that believes only your opinion counts. For the record I've been using etap starting with 6.0 and every version since. All have loaded and ran just fine except Etap 11. If you really have been using Etap for 10 years as you claim, you know Etap requires a service agreement or they won't provide support. So your statement questioning if I am a etap user inaccurate and without fact. Clearly I was frustrated and disappointed in Etap's customer support. I was dealing with only one Etap support person so I can't attest to the rest of their staff. I know first hand the posting ruffled the feathers of Etap and they have been in contact with me concerning the issues and a workable resolution. I'm not going to get into details but will say Etap's sales department has expressed a sincere commitment to resolving the issue and any others I might have. As the saying goes... There is always room for improvement.