It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:31 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: ETAP v11 AF Categories
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:25 pm 

Under PPE requirements settings does ETAP have incorrect ratings and descriptions for proper PPE or is it just me... its been like this since ver 6

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:54 pm 
Sparks Level

The PPE vs minimum arc ratings is incorrect in Etap 11 if you read NFPA70-2009 Article 130 table 130.7(C)(10) page 141. Etap 11 doesn't recognize 70E-2012 release. Look under Projects-->Settings-->Arc Flash-->PPE Requirements-->Personal Protection Equipment, you will find Cat 1 and Cat 2 PPE requirements are exactly the same at 8 arc rating. Cat 3 & Cat 4 PPE exactly same at 40 arc rating.

What they did is change 4 PPE levels to 2 PPE levels by combining Cat 1&2 and Cat 3&4. One could argue the level of PPE really isn't wrong from a safety stand point. Cat 2 covers cat 0, cat 1 and cat 4 covers cat 3. However, it's overkill to wear Cat 4 PPE when cat 3 PPE would be more than sufficient.

Maybe its a cut and paste programming error? Cat 2* is missing all together in Etap 11 even though 70E-2009 is listed in "PPE Requirements" menu.

However, luck is with Etap on this one... Cat 2* has been deleted in the 70E-2012 release. What I did is this... from the "PPE Requirements" menu select "User-Defined/AF Analysis" and make your own PPE Tables using 130.7(C)(16). Page 156 that agree with NFPA70E-2012.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:07 pm 

Probably a good idea to direct this to ETAP. They have pretty good software and I know a few people that have had very good experiences with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:45 pm 
Sparks Level

LLB wrote:
Probably a good idea to direct this to ETAP. They have pretty good software and I know a few people that have had very good experiences with them.

I did point this out to Etap with Ver 7.0. I received a short email reply stating they follow NFPA guidelines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:17 am 

Note that you can add your own PPE discriptions in ETAP, just follow the path in GEH7752 reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 am 
Sparks Level

When we turn on ETAP (version 11) a disclaimer about the PPE pops up.

This has not been a problem for us as we have always used the PPE descriptions straight out of NFPE 70E (however, that has been a problem when minor changes were introduced quietly, resulting in 500 incorrect labels installed that required immediate replacement due to hearing protection added to HRC 1)

We have worked consistently with ETAP for nearly 10 years and the the company has consistently been very quick to respond to any request , though recently they have begun marshaling the calls through some sort of dispatcher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 am 
Sparks Level

Etap has gone to a "Help Desk" type of system to track requests by assigning ticket numbers. Only users with support contracts can get help. I'm not sure what happens after the ticket is assigned. The PPE disclaimer popup box new in Etap 11 requires to user to "accept" so the PPE requirements will be printed on the labels. One of the historical problems with AF labels is providing too much information that Joe the Electrican never reads or really needs to know in the first place. Detailed info is what final reports are for. I've seen labels with 6 pt type loaded with so much data you need a magnifying glass to read it. I went to the KISS (keep it simple) system. I only label the system voltage, cal/cm^ & flash protection boundary. Which I feel is the important data for the guy in the field the rest of the detailed engineering data goes in the final report.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:19 am 

this is what i use.. i think i might have gotten it from NFPA 2009

Non-melting or untreated natural fiber long-sleeve shirt, long pants, safety glasses, hearing protection, and leather gloves. -- Cat 0

FR clothing and Protective Equipment with minimum arc rating of 4; long-sleeve shirt, long pants, coverall, face shield, parka, hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, leather gloves and leather work shoes. -- Cat 1

FR clothing and Protective Equipment with minimum arc rating of 8; long-sleeve shirt, long pants, coverall, face shield, parka, hard hat, safety glasses, hearing protection, leather gloves and leather work shoes. -- Cat 2

FR clothing system and PE with minimum arc rating of 25; long-sleeve shirt, pants, coverall, arc flash suit, parka, hard hat, FR hard hat liner, safety glasses, hearing protection, arc rated gloves, leather work shoes. -- Cat 3

FR clothing system and PE with minimum arc rating of 40; long-sleeve shirt, pants, coverall, arc flash suit, parka, hard hat, FR hard hat liner, safety glasses, hearing protection, arc rated gloves, leather work shoes. -- Cat 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:25 am 
Sparks Level

What happens if its a 12 cal/cm^? Do you wear 25cal suit because its over 8 cal. Layering is an option the gets over looked allot of times which is a good method to get the right PPE without overkill. I've given up on trying to fit the square peg into the round hole with 4 categories. I label with calculated cal/cm^ value and stopped using categories.