It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:19 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Software choices
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:36 pm 

My company is trying to decide which software we're going to use for our studies. They've narrowed it down to etap, Skm, and Easypower. Rather than take the word of the developers they want me to find a real report example from each. Can anyone send me a random sample report from these options?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:51 am 

what do you mean by "report"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:49 am 
Sparks Level

EasyPower has several free training videos on their website and you can request a free demo which will allow you to play around with the software (just can't save or print anything).

This is the only software I'm familiar with but it's pretty intuitive; I’m happy with it and tech support is also good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:21 am 

What I'm looking for is some real world info instead of demos from the software makers. By report, I mean just one or two of examples of short circuit analysis, a form showing the arc flash hazard values, etc, a line diagram, etc. I'm just looking to see how these three groups are approaching this output in a real world example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 am 

julian wrote:
My company is trying to decide which software we're going to use for our studies. They've narrowed it down to etap, Skm, and Easypower. Rather than take the word of the developers they want me to find a real report example from each. Can anyone send me a random sample report from these options?

Here is a copy of our SKM analysis.
Mike Faught

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:10 am 
Sparks Level

At the end of the day Etap, SKM and Easypower produce the same data and export it to excel, PDF, word, autocad, etc. Its up to the end user to decide how to format the reports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am 
Sparks Level

Here is a description of a book that may help:
"SKM, ETAP, & EDSA Power System Analysis Tutorials", Stephen P. Tubbs, 2009, ISBN 978-0-9819753-0-6.

I am not the author or publisher, I do have a copy of the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:41 am 
Sparks Level

I can only speak from SKM and ETAP as I have not used Easypower. I tend to lead towards SKM because I find it easier to get data out of it but it has it's limitations also. you can extract nearly any data to a spreadsheet and manipulate the format very easily. I do tend to use the reports in the native format (Crystal Report) because of simplicity. We print them to PDF and attach them in one large report as appedices to our main report using Acrobat. I like to keep the report simple and to the point and attach the data for back-up. I have read many reports that are filled with info but do not state the problem.

In general, all programs work about the same if you want to "just press a button". I have over 10 yrs experience with SKM and about 7 with ETAP and find SKM easier to do analysis/engineering but ETAP has features SKM does not.

I have included a couple of report/one-line samples for you - names have been blocked for contract purposes

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:17 am 

I would vote for ETAP. The bad thing about SKM is that there license limit, let say 500 buses. Pathetically, 500 buses would include node buses which I do not want in my system and SKM counts towards it as a bus. So pissed off. I have been using both for almost two years but ETAP is far far better than SKM.