It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:18 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: EasyPower 9.7 Release & NFPA 70E-2015
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:51 pm 
Plasma Level

EasyPower just released version 9.7 and I am curious about other users or anyone's opinion on a particular aspect of this release. The release notes state that one feature of the update is NFPA 70E-2015 enhancements which include "PPE level 0 for the table PPE Levels NFPA 70E 130.7(C)(16) has been changed from a PPE level text of #0 to #1."

My concern is that EasyPower is used to calculate the actual incident energy and NFPA 70E-2015 130.5(C) clearly states “The results of an incident energy analysis to specify an arc flash PPE Category in Table 130.7(C)(16) shall not be permitted.” However, EasyPower seems to be continuing to use Category Levels for reports and labels.

So am I incorrect in thinking that EasyPower should not even be including PPE Categories based on Table 130.7(C)(16)?

Note: I did ask this question to EasyPower but want to hear opinions of this forum before I share EasyPower's answer.

Thank you

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: EasyPower 9.7 Release & NFPA 70E-2015
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:09 am 

I believe your thinking is correct. It's either the incident energy analysis method OR the arc flash PPE category method. Labels would have either the available incident energy with the corresponding working distance OR the arc flash PPE category depending on the method you chose.

I use Paladin DesignBase and they are usually several months late to the party when it comes to software updates to match code changes. Fortunately the labels are fairly easy to customize so I can remove the PPE category from being output to my labels.

I'm curious to hear EasyPower's response.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:17 pm 

Your question has caused me to do some digging, learned some things, have some more questions/comments. Thanks.

Regarding Easypower’s (EZ) release note "PPE level 0 for the table PPE Levels NFPA 70E 130.7(C)(16) has been changed from a PPE level text of #0 to #1.", a question comes up. This release note seems to indicate that EZ will label any equipment as PPE 1 where incident energy (IE) is less than or equal to 4 cal/cm2. 70E indicates that arc rated clothing is not required unless the IE exposure is greater than 1.2 cal/cm2. Therefore, my question is, how does EZ handle labeling of equipment where the IE is less than 1.2 cal/cm2 where arc rated clothing is not required? DO they assign PPE 1 for all equipment where the IE is less than 4 cal/cm2? Anyone know?

The 70E requirement you quote 70E, “The results of an incident energy analysis to specify an arc flash PPE Category in Table 130.7(C)(16) shall not be permitted.” makes no sense to me at this point (hopefully someone will clarify). I believe the 70E statement is poorly worded. In 70E paragraph “Equipment labeling”, the PPE category is allowed on the label in addition to some other required information, which could include IE. What makes most sense to me is what GPD Steve says, 1 - if incident energy is calculated, IE goes on the label (and PPE Category is allowed as well). 2 - If the 70E tables are used to assign PPE categories, only the PPE category would be indicated on the label, no IE information.

I hope to see some responses that clear this up. Best Regards. Happy New Year

Brian Porter, PE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:54 pm 
Sparks Level

I have used the update and here is what I see:

1. In the Arc Flash/Advanced drop down, you can check whether you want the category to print. That has not changed. The only difference that i see, if you reference the the 2015 70E and check the "Show PPE Level" box, it will not print the category on the drawing or label

2. In 70E, they allow two methods:

A. The incident Energy on the label when doing calculations

B. The PPE category on the label when using the "categories " method.

They do not allow both on the label. The wording is a bit circuitous, however, I am fairly sure that is the direct interpretation.

3. This is more of a question - the 2012 version (when using the categories method) did not require a label because one piece of equipment could have multiple categories now that each piece of equipment will have one PPE category when using the "Categories" method, is there a "shall" used that requires labeling when using the "categories" method?