It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:47 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: SKM Captor Crashes
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:31 pm 

When creating new TCCs, and this has been for the last 10 or so years on every project using various versions of SKM on various projects at various companies using various computers, Captor crashes when I am "tidying" it up after it is first created (like moving labels around, removing cables and other devices caught in the selection set, etc). This can't possibly be just me....right? SKM support has not been able to help me out here. I mean beyond the numerous other bugs this one drives me crazy because for at least one of my clients, I'll be generating at least 300 tcc's (150 existing conditions, 150 proposed), and it drives me nuts! Does anyone know a workaround to this at least that doesn't involve too many extra steps? I'm already at the point where after I first create the TCC and associated 1line I close it so it saves, then open it back up again, but I'd say between 1/4 and a 1/2 of every TCC I create crashes SKM, and it's always been like this for me.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: SKM Captor Crashes
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:59 am 
Plasma Level

Could it be a hardware issue?

I'm interested in this as I just bought SKM and am going to training in Houston next week. I'm sure in class we will be creating TCC's. Why do you have to close the TCC to save it? Is there not a save feature that can be done without closing?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:05 am 
Sparks Level

Hammer wrote:
When creating new TCCs, and this has been for the last 10 or so years on every project using various versions of SKM on various projects at various companies using various computers, Captor crashes when I am "tidying" it up after it is first created (like moving labels around, removing cables and other devices caught in the selection set, etc). This can't possibly be just me....right? SKM support has not been able to help me out here. I mean beyond the numerous other bugs this one drives me crazy because for at least one of my clients, I'll be generating at least 300 tcc's (150 existing conditions, 150 proposed), and it drives me nuts! Does anyone know a workaround to this at least that doesn't involve too many extra steps? I'm already at the point where after I first create the TCC and associated 1line I close it so it saves, then open it back up again, but I'd say between 1/4 and a 1/2 of every TCC I create crashes SKM, and it's always been like this for me.

Any crashes for me would be rare, and not the rule at all. I probably go dozens if not more between any sort of crash.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:47 am 

I have the same issue for the past few years. Two different computers.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:23 am 
Sparks Level

I too have the problem, it has existed for me for several years, over several different computers.
SKM USED to blame it on the particularbrand of computers thatwe use [Dell] and in particular the graphics drivers.
More recently SKM has been pretty mum.

It is not that the TCCs are not saved, it is the TCC onelines that you loose when it crashes.
Rather than having to close the TCC and reopen it, [Although there are otherreasons to want to do that]
you can click on the Onel ine window, and then do a document save or save-as.
Once you do that, the standard autosave of the one line will take over, and you may lose a little in the crash, but not a whole lot.

These crashes do not happen ONLY when working on TCCs, but can happen when working on Onelines or any thing else that is graphics intensive.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:02 am 
Sparks Level

I too had this issue before, even with core i7, 3401 Mhz processor & 8GB RAM. It ll depend on your processor speed & programs you are multitasking. For instance when we run AutCAD or SolidWorks when we work on SKM, chances of crashing are higher. And the evidence can be seen if we look at the cpu performance in the task manager (short cut: cmd & type taskmgr). But so far the latest SKM version is: 7.0.4.1 works great for me. For the TCC, whatever you created should be there, even if you don't save. If it crashes after u maneuvered online drawing and populated datablock in the TCC, then when u open your TCC, select "No Change" in the Online Replace or Append option. This will take you exactly where u left and no modifications will be required. If you replace, it may not show your oneline diagram in the TCC and you may have to create from "existing"( ctrl +I). If that happens, close the TCC window and open with Append/No change option, you may have to make small modifications, but you don't have to re-create anything from scratch.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:38 am 

Not sure this will clear the problem but I had a lot of issues with SKM until I upgraded the RAM. I now have 12GB and fixed most of the problems. SKM is a memory intensive application, it freaks out if you don't have enough of it. I still run into bugs here and there but nothing major that I can't find my way around of.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:17 am 
Arc Level

Having used SKM products since the days of DOS it will be difficult to part ways, but we can no longer see a long term future with PTW. By this time next year my company plans to be fluent in ETAP instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:41 pm 

I have experienced numerous crashes. I find that the main problem is that when a backup is made in PTW32, the library in that backup contains only the devices used in that backup. I have recently learned that I need to merge the backup with the ptw.lib and probably the original library from the backup. I have lost settings on breakers and fuse sizes. Of course this makes the TCC's worthless. As a general rule I have developed Print Forms and print PDF copies of the TCC's along with the one-line or the datablocks containing the settings of the devices. This provides me with backup's if the system crashes.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:10 am 
Plasma Level

The backup function will create a library of devices used in that model. This is useful for passing the files along to a consultant or vice versa as it keeps the files small. It will also contain any custom devices. Of course if you are adding to the project you would need the entire library but would have to merge the model library with the full PTW library.

I don't know why settings would be lost. Have you contacted SKM on this issue? If so, please post their response here.