It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:13 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: ARCPRO Software delivery time?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:07 am 

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing delays in receiving ARCPRO software? It has been 6+ weeks since our order was placed, and Kinectrics will not provide an update on delivery. At the time of quote, I was told 4-6 weeks.

My understanding is the supplier in the USA is HD Electric, and in Canada the supplier is Young Utility Equipment. Both suppliers have said that the software comes from Kinectrics, so whether our US office purchase from HD electric or the Canadian office purchases from Young Utility, the delivery would be the same (4-6 weeks)

We need ARCPRO to comply with OSHA 1910.269 table 3 for calculations above 15kV....but that is difficult without the software being made available to customers willing to buy it.

Thanks,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: ARCPRO Software delivery time?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 am 
Plasma Level

When I bought it thru HD, it took awhile and then it took awhile to get a passcode. Here is HD info to me on that.

When the ArcPro is ordered, HD Electric will ship a CD. This CD cannot be used until the registration has been done and Kinectrics provides you with the password to activate the software.

Here is what I got when waiting for a password:

Per HD Electric the standard time to provide the file and password to use the software after Kinectrics receives the completed registration form is 3-4 weeks. I am not sure how clear this is made.

It is designed to run on Windows XP, so you will that or an emulator. Below is what I received from HD in 2013.

ArcPro 2.01 operates with Windows 7. The program however requires an actual or emulated 8, 16 or 32 bit processor (as opposed to 64).
If your machine has only a 64 bit processor you can:
- On Windows 7 Professional – run the computer temporarily in XP mode by downloading a free conversion on the internet
- Load Virtual M ie VM which allows you to run the machine in any version of Windows including those that emulate 32 bit machines

You can load ArcPro on an older machine that has a 32 bit processor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:29 pm 
Arc Level

Waiting for V 3.0? http://www.arcflashforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4215&p=19238&hilit=arcpro#p19238

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:59 am 

stevenal wrote:

I asked about V 3.0 because I came across that thread that you linked. I was told by Young Utility that "There's no timetable for releasing a new version".

The only version available to order was V 2.01

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:03 am 

wbd wrote:
When I bought it thru HD, it took awhile and then it took awhile to get a passcode. Here is HD info to me on that.

When the ArcPro is ordered, HD Electric will ship a CD. This CD cannot be used until the registration has been done and Kinectrics provides you with the password to activate the software.

Here is what I got when waiting for a password:

Per HD Electric the standard time to provide the file and password to use the software after Kinectrics receives the completed registration form is 3-4 weeks. I am not sure how clear this is made.

It is designed to run on Windows XP, so you will that or an emulator. Below is what I received from HD in 2013.

ArcPro 2.01 operates with Windows 7. The program however requires an actual or emulated 8, 16 or 32 bit processor (as opposed to 64).
If your machine has only a 64 bit processor you can:
- On Windows 7 Professional – run the computer temporarily in XP mode by downloading a free conversion on the internet
- Load Virtual M ie VM which allows you to run the machine in any version of Windows including those that emulate 32 bit machines

You can load ArcPro on an older machine that has a 32 bit processor

Thanks for the information. I was told that ARCPRO V2.01 will be Windows 7 compatible, but the 8,16 or 32 bit processor requirement is news to me. My machine is Windows 7 64 bit. I have Windows 7 Professional, so I will try running in XP mode, or the VM option. Thanks for the heads up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:15 am 
Sparks Level

The new 3.0 is coming soon and will likely be downloadable. That should make it MUCH easier. Mine have taken a while too.

The new update will be an upgrade but if you purchased in the last 6 months it will be less or free.

It has batch flow capabilities and is Win 7-10 compatible.

Hugh Hoagland
e-Hazard.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:26 pm 
Sparks Level

I use Easy Power and they're very responsive to any requests. The software is downloadable from their internet site and all it takes to get a license to use the software is money. You can download, pay and use it the same day. If Arcpro is this hard to get, I can't imagine what kind of tech support they offer.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:18 pm 
Arc Level

wilhendrix wrote:
I use Easy Power and they're very responsive to any requests. The software is downloadable from their internet site and all it takes to get a license to use the software is money. You can download, pay and use it the same day. If Arcpro is this hard to get, I can't imagine what kind of tech support they offer.

Good luck,

Probably reverts to Lee at 15 kV if it even goes that high. As OSHA noted, Lee gives extremely conservative results at higher voltage. ArcPro is the only reasonable show around for 15 kV and higher.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:39 pm 
Plasma Level

stevenal wrote:
wilhendrix wrote:

Good luck,

Probably reverts to Lee at 15 kV if it even goes that high. As OSHA noted, Lee gives extremely conservative results at higher voltage. ArcPro is the only reasonable show around for 15 kV and higher.

It all sounds good except for the fact that there isn't any test data above that voltage. So OSHA's "analysis" is that Lee gave very high results, and Duke heat flux gave very low results, and ArcPro was right down the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:23 am 
Sparks Level

trhoff wrote:
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing delays in receiving ARCPRO software? It has been 6+ weeks since our order was placed, and Kinectrics will not provide an update on delivery. At the time of quote, I was told 4-6 weeks.

My understanding is the supplier in the USA is HD Electric, and in Canada the supplier is Young Utility Equipment. Both suppliers have said that the software comes from Kinectrics, so whether our US office purchase from HD electric or the Canadian office purchases from Young Utility, the delivery would be the same (4-6 weeks)

We need ARCPRO to comply with OSHA 1910.269 table 3 for calculations above 15kV....but that is difficult without the software being made available to customers willing to buy it.

Try please ARCMASTER for single-phase arc flash hazard analysis while waiting for your copy of ARCPRO. The program calculation procedure is well documented, backed up by test data and published at <deleted link to commercial website>

Last edited by wbd on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deleted link to commercial website

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:51 pm 
Plasma Level

arcad wrote:
Try please ARCMASTER for single-phase arc flash hazard analysis while waiting for your copy of ARCPRO. The program calculation procedure is well documented, backed up by test data and published at <deleted link to commercial website>

The issue becomes if you are trying to meet OSHA 1910.269 for making a reasonable assessment of incident energy for electric utilities. OSHA provides a table in Appendix E which lists what OSHA considers as methods which provide reasonable estimates of IE and the only method listed for >15kV is ArcPro. OSHA would probably accept another method, such as ARCMASTER, if there is documentation showing the two methods are comparable. So, IMHO one might as well use ArcPro and save a headache of trying to prove to OSHA the other method is equivalent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:46 am 

It has been 8 weeks now....still no software. Kinectrics told the supplier they will ship it soon, but have not supplied a tracking number.

Thank you for all your comments regarding other software options, but OSHA will only accept ARCPRO over 15kV as per Table 3 in the first post of this thread.

I have used ETAP for the rest of the facility with no issues. I also used ETAP for the calculation above 15kV (Ralph Lee Theoretical Calculations), but according to OSHA Table 3 this is overly conservative and is not acceptable. See note 3 of Table 3.

I will update this thread if/when I ever receive the ARCPRO software.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:19 pm 
Sparks Level

If you don't do a lot of over 15kV calcs I'd consider cancelling the order and putting the money toward subbing that study or part of the study out to someone else who already has the software.

If you can't even get the goods to start with what's the training and support going to be like after they've already cashed the check?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:53 am 
Plasma Level

bbaumer wrote:
If you don't do a lot of over 15kV calcs I'd consider cancelling the order and putting the money toward subbing that study or part of the study out to someone else who already has the software.

If you can't even get the goods to start with what's the training and support going to be like after they've already cashed the check?

ArcPro was developed as a sort of a side project back in the day by a couple guys at Kinetrics. It's sort of an "as is" product now so you can imagine why "support" might be a little weak. At least that's the impression that one of the two authors that I spoke with gave me about 5 years ago in a phone call.

I can only imagine due to OSHA's "support" for ArcPro what this has done for a business that is not really heavily supported.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:28 pm 

I wanted to provide a follow up and close the loop on this thread. I ended up cancelling the order for Arcpro software. I was quoted 4-6 weeks delivery time for the software, and after waiting over 10 weeks I decided to cancel the order.

Thanks to the forum members for their input and responses on this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:24 am 
Plasma Level

trhoff - just to follow up on the ArcPro, do know if you received the 3.0 version? May be of interest to others.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:56 am 

wbd wrote:
trhoff - just to follow up on the ArcPro, do know if you received the 3.0 version? May be of interest to others.

I was shipped Version 2.01. I asked about a new version, Version 3.0, and the response was "There's no timeline for releasing a new version". I was a little surprised to hear that response, since it sounded like a Version 3.0 release was coming out soon.