It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:04 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: ETAP versus EasyPower
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 pm 

Is anyone familiar with both ETAP and EasyPower software? I need to purchase a power system modeling software for my plant and have narrowed it down to these two programs. Looking through the various demos, it looks like EasyPower might be a little simpler to learn; however, we already have one engineer who has been through a five day school on ETAP while he was employeed by a different firm. If the two software programs are close to the same, it would seem like a waste to not take advantage of the training that this one individual already has. What about the ETAP claim that they will do single phase arc flash analysis. I understand that there are no standards specifying equations for single phase arc flash analysis and that there has been no testing done. Has anyone tried the ETAP single phase calculation? If any of you have used both ETAP and EasyPower it would be great to hear about your impression of the two.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:03 pm 
Sparks Level

George wrote:
Is anyone familiar with both ETAP and EasyPower software? I need to purchase a power system modeling software for my plant and have narrowed it down to these two programs. Looking through the various demos, it looks like EasyPower might be a little simpler to learn; however, we already have one engineer who has been through a five day school on ETAP while he was employeed by a different firm. If the two software programs are close to the same, it would seem like a waste to not take advantage of the training that this one individual already has. What about the ETAP claim that they will do single phase arc flash analysis. I understand that there are no standards specifying equations for single phase arc flash analysis and that there has been no testing done. Has anyone tried the ETAP single phase calculation? If any of you have used both ETAP and EasyPower it would be great to hear about your impression of the two.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I have used EZ power and SKM, I personally do not put ETAP in the same category. I have also reviewed jobs done with ETAP, again, IMHO the finished peoduct does not compare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:25 pm 
Sparks Level

Flash wrote:
I have used EZ power and SKM, I personally do not put ETAP in the same category. I have also reviewed jobs done with ETAP, again, IMHO the finished peoduct does not compare.

Meaning you find ETAP to be better or worse than the other two?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:00 am 
Sparks Level

Calc Software Comparisons

We use SKM and EasyPower and EDSA.

ETAP is used by more utilities but Millsoft and Asplundh are also popular.

We find SKM to have more premodeled equipment and even lots of EU types that make modeling a plant nice.

If you need T&D EasyPower nor SKM do the best job but for a plant you can't beat them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:55 pm 
Sparks Level

Vincent B. wrote:
Meaning you find ETAP to be better or worse than the other two?

Personal opinion - EZ Power and SKM are more user friendly, the GUI is far better and they have superior hard copy output, when compared to ETAP.