Do you agree?
YES
NO
You may select 1 option

View results
ekstra   ara
 Post subject: DANGER-HIGH VOLTAGE-KEEP OUT signs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:14 am 

[color="Red"]DANGER-HIGH VOLTAGE-KEEP OUT [/color]signs are required in accordance with NEC Sections 110.34, 314.72(F), 490.53, 490.55, 620.3(A), and 665.23.

Question: Will those who are using the new 2009 NFPA 70E, edition still post them?

I believe that they are still required to be posted and would be in addition to any other warnings described in 70E.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:52 am 
Sparks Level

The two codes are not exclusionary, so that using the 70E does not exempt someone from using the NEC, and vice-versa.

My concern though, is that all of these signs and postings become so much background noise that they become ignored.
They end up getting posted anyway to try to cover liability issues, similar to the "Caution, coffee is Hot" signs now at McDonald's, but are ignored by the majority of the people.

We're already running into this at my facility. We have signs posted by the Safety department that say "Danger - High Voltage - Authorized personnel only" Then there's a label with nameplate and source information. There is also manufacturer's information (size and ratings) Now there is also a label with arc flash information.
All for a 480V / 30A pump disconnect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:10 pm 

I have been debating with our safety department in the case of deadfront equipment behind locked doors. Per NEC 2005 110.34(C) only live, exposed equipment over 600V need the sign on the door.

The way it is reiterated in 70E 400.21(C)(2) it makes it seem as if all equipment, even deadfront, behind locked doors needs the sign. The NEC requirement was not included in NFPA 70E the exact same.

I had thoght they were going to remove the NEC portion from 70E and just place a reference to NFPA 70?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:46 am 

WDeanN wrote:
The two codes are not exclusionary, so that using the 70E does not exempt someone from using the NEC, and vice-versa.

My concern though, is that all of these signs and postings become so much background noise that they become ignored.
They end up getting posted anyway to try to cover liability issues, similar to the "Caution, coffee is Hot" signs now at McDonald's, but are ignored by the majority of the people.

We're already running into this at my facility. We have signs posted by the Safety department that say "Danger - High Voltage - Authorized personnel only" Then there's a label with nameplate and source information. There is also manufacturer's information (size and ratings) Now there is also a label with arc flash information.
All for a 480V / 30A pump disconnect!

The definition of "High Voltage" certainly can be debated with the context, but it seems to me that posting such a sign at a disconnect enclosing circuits not exceeding 600 volts only adds to the sign clutter you and I both dislike.

If you save those warnings for only equipment operating at over 600 volts workers will believe them more readily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm 
Sparks Level

ANSI Z-535 Standards

When you study the ANSI signal words, DANGER is not an appropriate signal word either. Just more confusion. It's amusing/frustrating to see these placards pasted on 120V control panels too. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 am 
Sparks Level

viper57 wrote:
When you study the ANSI signal words, DANGER is not an appropriate signal word either. Just more confusion. It's amusing/frustrating to see these placards pasted on 120V control panels too. :(

No doubt... I guess most people still like some aspect of common sense... Not many people would open an electrical panel, transformer, switchgear without thinking that there may be electricity present and that it probably isn't the place to set a coffee cup..