It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:53 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:03 am 
Arc Level

I couldn't find the 2008 study on the net, so if you have a link I'd appreciate it.

I am sure the insurance companies love arc fault breakers as it will reduce their claims. I'm sure the HUD and the lower middle class of this country look at it differently and say, I can't afford to own a home now, but am willing to take the chance on a QO molded case CB if I could.

As a society, we have to a balance between risk and accomodations. I do not believe that professional societies like NFPA ever take into account the 'accomodation' aspect. They just look at the risk and try to figure out how to overcome it.

When I was a kid, I rode my bike without kneepads or a helmet. I took some bumps and bruises but throughout my childhood I never heard of a loss of life by some kid who crashed his bike. Society now looks to the parents as being 'negligent' if they let their kids ride a bike without a helmet. We are reaching a point where we try to protect everyone from any form of harm through legislation. That can't go to it extreme conclusion.

I also believe that, and know I will take heat for it, that NFPA is profit motivated. They are like software compaines that have to tweek their product each year to be able to sell the next version. Its unfortunate that our government has no suitable alternative, or take it upon themselves to establish minimum standards. While I don't believe in big government, I think they would do a better job of finding that balance between safety and accomodation.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:21 am 
Sparks Level

The discussion about effectiveness of code writers seems especially pertinent in the context of NFPA 70E. This code needs to be simplified and solidified if it is ever to be taken seriously.

While it remains unknown who amongst facility owners, employers or qualified workers, is responsible for what parts of NFPA70E, and there is great confusion about labels with HRC and caloric exposure, and there are huge differences of opinion about whether arc flash exposure exists while operating equipment in its intended duty; somehow the "absent minded professors" are wondering whether the calculations should be expanded to include bus orientation.

Profile Send private message