It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:57 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: CON ED Spot Network IE levels
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:12 am 

Hello fellow practitioners,

Attached is a one-line diagram of a spot network by CON ED in Brooklyn, NY. The system consists of up to five 2500 kVA transformers connected on the 480V secondaries.

The gear that is owned by the customer is powered from five 3000-amp takeoff fuses in CON ED's vault, to separate sections in the service-entrance gear. The resultant incident energy level is less than 1 calorie directly downstream of the 3000-amp current-limiting fuses.

I can't in good conscience label a piece of equipment powered from a 480V, 200kA source at less than 1 calorie, but given the upstream 3000-amp fuses, that's where it ends up.

Granted I will develop multiple scenarios that look at less than 4 or 5 of the transformers being connected. That gets me up to around 30 calories for the case where there's one 2500 kVA transformer, and I have a request in to CON ED to see if they ever get to that low level of available fault current.

But I'm curious to see if anyone else has run into this situation.

Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: CON ED Spot Network IE levels
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:17 am 

If there is a way to get the actual utility data...get it. Using infinite bus is usually not worse-case (for AF calc's).

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:36 am 
Sparks Level

You should definitely contact the utility and find out what the maximum and minimum secondary fault current would be. Then you will want to run one scenario at Maximum Fault current with all motors on and another scenario with Minimum Fault Current with all motors off. Then use the worst case (maximum AF energy) to put on the AF warning label.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 am 

I seemed to have lost my previous reply. the IEEE model does not apply at 200kA. Should not be used!!!!

I would not trust the calculation at all, nor would I expect the fuses to be current limiting. Not aware that there is a model to predict arcing current with more than 106kA Ibf... and I am not 100% sure I would trust it at 106 kA either as that was, itself, and extrapolation by the team that the created the model.

At high fault currents the Iarc/Ibf ratio decreases in LV systems.

See attached chart based on the 2018 model. The Iarc values past 106kA are my own extrapolation using a straight line! I would think Iarc will actually be lower than what this shows. But even with this the minimum I arc for 200kA Ibf, at 32mm gap could be <45kA, HCB!

Short circuit calculations, for fault values this high could be very inaccurate. Small, normally ignored impedance, can have a big effect!

I would suggest this is not a system to which you can assign AF values.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 am 

These are actual reported CON ED contribution values. CON ED normally runs the system with 3 of the 5 transformers connected.

I will run alternate scenarios to determine a worst-case arc flash level, none of which will apply to buses with bolted fault currents in excess of 106 kA in accordance with IEEE 1584-2018. Alternate methods within SKM's capabilities will be investigated.

Not labeling the buses with incident energy levels is not an option.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:26 am 

mayanees wrote:
These are actual reported CON ED contribution values. CON ED normally runs the system with 3 of the 5 transformers connected.

I will run alternate scenarios to determine a worst-case arc flash level, none of which will apply to buses with bolted fault currents in excess of 106 kA in accordance with IEEE 1584-2018. Alternate methods within SKM's capabilities will be investigated.

Not labeling the buses with incident energy levels is not an option.

Edited to add: SKM advised that the program defaults to the Ralph Lee equations for anything outside of the 1584 current-range parameters.

I believe this shows that downstream of a 480V, 3000A current limiting fuse the incident energy level is low.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:42 am 
Plasma Level

mayanees wrote:
Edited to add: SKM advised that the program defaults to the Ralph Lee equations for anything outside of the 1584 current-range parameters.

The 2002 Edition of IEEE 1584 stated to use "Theoretical Methods" when outside the boundaries of the equation's validity. (only meaning the equations were not validated above 106 kA)

The 2018 Edition of IEEE 1584 makes no such statement. Mostly for legal reasons, we decided to state the range of validity and not make any recommendations if a study is outside that range. i.e. up to the user and that typically means switching to the Lee Equations. In years past, I have seen some use the IEEE equations above 106 kA and then have a footnote stating the calculations are outside the range of validity.