It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:09 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: NFPA 70E for Electric Utilities
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:01 am 

Dear collegues, I'd like to ask for your opinion about Article 90.2 Scope of NFPA 70E 2009:

"(B) Not Covered. This standard does not cover the following:
"..."
(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electric utility where such installations:
"..."
c. Are on property owned or leased by the electric utility for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission or distribution of electric energy."

My questions is: Why Electric Utility must not accomplish with NFPA 70E but industrial plant are covered with that standard?

Does it mean that Utility' s workers are not exposed to arc flash accidents?

Take NFPA 70E into account switchgears with internal arc classification (IEC 62271-200)?

Thanks for quickly answer.
PAD

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:25 am 
Arc Level

The National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) published by the IEEE covers electric and communication utilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:06 am 
Sparks Level

Utilities are covered by other safety standards in the US (ANSI C2 - National Electrical Safety Code).

Their workers are definitely exposed to arc flash hazards. At the same time, a utility must put greated emphasis on maintaining their service to their clients than a typical industrial plant. Also, some classes of utility workers are almost never exposed to three phases arcs because of the distance between phase conductors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:17 pm 

Vincent B. wrote:
Their workers are definitely exposed to arc flash hazards. At the same time, a utility must put greated emphasis on maintaining their service to their clients than a typical industrial plant. Also, some classes of utility workers are almost never exposed to three phases arcs because of the distance between phase conductors.

You mean distance between conductors in utility swichtgears are different from industrial switchgears?
I think both use same switchgear, and probably incident energy could be similar, so risk is the same in utility and industrial panels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:22 pm 
Sparks Level

PAD wrote:
You mean distance between conductors in utility swichtgears are different from industrial switchgears?
I think both use same switchgear, and probably incident energy could be similar, so risk is the same in utility and industrial panels.

Using the same gear, the risk is the same.

But on more typical utility equipment, the risk is different. More typical as in distribution or transformation buildings/yards.

Note that utility workers, in buildings used other than "for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission or distribution of electric energy", fall under 70E.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:48 pm 

Vincent B. wrote:
Using the same gear, the risk is the same.

But on more typical utility equipment, the risk is different. More typical as in distribution or transformation buildings/yards.

Note that utility workers, in buildings used other than "for the purpose of communications, metering, generation, control, transformation, transmission or distribution of electric energy", fall under 70E.

But no covered by 70E means that workers don't need use arc flash PPE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:51 pm 
Sparks Level

The NESC, not 70E, spells out the PPE for utilities. They still use PPE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:52 pm 
Sparks Level

PAD wrote:
But no covered by 70E means that workers don't need use arc flash PPE?

NO!

It means the standard which covers these workers (and how to protect them, including choosing the proper arc flash PPE) is, as previously said, in ANSI C2, also referred to as the NESC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:59 pm 
Arc Level

[url="http://www.arcflashforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13"]http://www.arcflashforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:49 am 

Vincent B. wrote:
NO!

It means the standard which covers these workers (and how to protect them, including choosing the proper arc flash PPE) is, as previously said, in ANSI C2, also referred to as the NESC.

Ok, I haven't red NESC yet. Then I ask if NESC talk about arc flash hazard study acording to NFPA 70E or IEEE 1584.
I think arc flash PPE by 70E and NESC is the same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm 
Sparks Level

PAD wrote:
Ok, I haven't red NESC yet. Then I ask if NESC talk about arc flash hazard study acording to NFPA 70E or IEEE 1584.
I think arc flash PPE by 70E and NESC is the same

About the only thing common between the two is electricity and a calc for PPE. Most use ArcPro software for OH utility distribution.
________
[url="http://pattayaluxurycondos.com"]Park Royal 2 Condos Prathumnak[/url]