It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Tic Tracers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:21 am 
Sparks Level

What is the general consensus on the use of Tic Tracers when it comes to establishing/verifing an electricaly safe working condition? Personnally, I do not feel that they can be used in this process since there is no way to test a conductor phase to phase or phase to ground. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:04 pm 
Sparks Level

They do not meet the intent of contact testing. Troublesome part is that they are the defacto standard for testing at voltages over 750 volts. Contact testing at 600 volts (p-p) with a properly rated meter is what we do. We use a Salisbury 4356 tester for voltages above 600 volts.
No-one complains because the tester is a self check type...

Maybe somebody does something better out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:47 pm 
Plasma Level

cbauer wrote:
What is the general consensus on the use of Tic Tracers when it comes to establishing/verifing an electricaly safe working condition? Personnally, I do not feel that they can be used in this process since there is no way to test a conductor phase to phase or phase to ground. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, tricky one. My rule has been if I will touch it, do direct contact. If I don't plan on touching anything, proximity test is OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:37 am 

I too use the Salisbury tester for 600V>. I have trusted this on all jobs we de-energize both less than and greater than 600V.

Believe me, I test the bus and terminations many times over and over, goto an extension cord, goto a fluorescant light fixture and back again.

Caution on shielded and lead cables. I don't trust it then.

Then always suit up and use discharge stick and ground cables if our work requires contact or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:12 am 
Sparks Level

I appreciate the responses. We do have a high voltage contact meter, but the crews generally perfer the use of 'proximatity' testers, unless they actually want to get a voltage measurement. I believe that in order to comply with the intent of 70E that the contact meter must be used.