It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:57 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: NFPA 70E What do you think of Leviton lev loc Receptacles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:22 pm 

Have any of you ever use these before? they are suppose to be quick wire lev lock receptacles.

http://assets.twacomm.com/assets/pdf/40003.pdf

One guy suggested that with these type of 'disconnects' on the back of the receptacles you would not have to turn off the breaker. I disagreed, and stated even though these are probably safer on doing hot work when necessary, if you have to take off the cover according to NFPA 70e will still require you to turn off the power before doing that because the conductors are still energized even though they are not 'bare copper' exposed.
Am I correct in this understanding?? These type of receptacles will not enable a person to ignore NFPA 70e in my opinion.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:01 am 
Sparks Level

What happens if the wire connection assembly breaks? The receptacle is junk and needs to be replaced. Another device mfg had a similar product a few years back except it plugged in the wire connection plug instead of rotating the connector. It wasn't a hit in the electrical community and pricy... the product line was dropped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:07 am 

geh7752 wrote:
What happens if the wire connection assembly breaks? The receptacle is junk and needs to be replaced. Another device mfg had a similar product a few years back except it plugged in the wire connection plug instead of rotating the connector. It wasn't a hit in the electrical community and pricy... the product line was dropped.

You are correct! I actually got the definition of the 'Electrically Safe Work Condition' from the NFPA 70e.

Electrically Safe Work Condtion: "A state in which an electrical conductor or circuit part has been disconnected from energized parts, locked/tagged in accordance with established standards, tested to ensure the absennce of voltage, and grounded if determined necesary."

I also found the instructions from the manufacturer, and they say the power has to be turned off when installing or removing these type of receptacles. So I got my question answered.

TO DISCONNECT RECEPTACLE FROM MODULE:1. WARNING: TO AVOID FIRE, SHOCK, OR DEATH; TURN OFF POWER AT CIRCUIT BREAKER OR FUSE AND TEST THAT THE
POWER IS OFF BEFORE DISCONNECTING!
2. Remove receptacle mounting screws and pull assembly out from wall box.
3. Push receptacle tab #1 and turn module counterclockwise until unlocked and separate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 am 
Sparks Level

brother wrote:
if you have to take off the cover according to NFPA 70e will still require you to turn off the power before doing that because the conductors are still energized even though they are not 'bare copper' exposed.
Am I correct in this understanding?? These type of receptacles will not enable a person to ignore NFPA 70e in my opinion.

I'm curious whey you say that NFPA 70E would not allow you to remove the cover from this receptacle? There are no exposed energized parts if you remove the cover so there is no shock hazard nor is there an arc flash hazard from removing the cover. You also state "NFPA 70e will still require you to turn off the power before doing that because the conductors are still energized". Following this logic, you cannot unplug any appliance plugged into a receptacle since the plug and cord are "still energized". Comments anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:14 am 
Sparks Level

I assume the concern here is shock hazard not arc flash, correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 pm 
Sparks Level

SCGEng1 wrote:
I assume the concern here is shock hazard not arc flash, correct?

Hopefully... Or there are gonna be ALOT of people caught off guard....