It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:01 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Frame of reference
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:00 am 

So I have been trying to learn more about arc flash. I am not an engineer nor an electrician so most of the time the technical information is way over my head. What I am looking for is some info that would make it easier for guys like me to understand the power/consequences of these blasts.
For instance here is a quote from one report I have read.

"This huge energy discharge burns the bus bars, vaporizing the copper and thus resulting in an explosive volumetric increase, the arc blast, conservatively estimated, as an expansion of 67,000 to 1 (meaning a pea-sized piece of copper, ends up blowing up to the size of a typical rail car in a fraction of a second). This fiery blast will destroy everything in its path, creating deadly shrapnel as it dissipates. This shrapnel can reach speeds exceeding 700 miles per hour. The core of the arc flash can reach temperatures of 35,000℉ (19427℃) in less than 1/1000th of a second; That’s roughly four times the temperature of the surface of the sun."

When it says that the heat is four times the temperature of the sun, I can grasp that idea. When it says that copper will increase from a pea to a rail car, I get that.
So are there any more comparisons you all can make for me?
How loud is it? How hot ? ETC.
Would it be like getting hit by a sledge hammer? Like standing on the launch pad of a NASA blast off? You know, be creative. Thanks !

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:51 am 
Sparks Level

Westex has some good videos of arc blasts.

Profile Send private message