It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:12 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc flash lawsuit
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:09 am 
Plasma Level

This one is interesting, obviously this guy was not wearing PPE or following ESWP's per 70E requirements, yet he is suing the company where he was working. This is exactly why contractors are being required more and more to provide proof of 70E compliance before being allowed to do work at facilities.

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/24...electrical-box

I wish him a speedy recovery, shame this sort of thing happens when it can be prevented so easily.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:18 am 

the link doesnt work... i found it but can not repost the full link because of the spam filter...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:55 am 
Plasma Level

http://www.setexasrecord.com/news/241988-burned-electrician-sues-over-exploding-electrical-box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:23 pm 

does anyone really believe this happens as the guy stated?
i wish him well and all, but this sounds more like a cya story instead of what really happned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:49 pm 
Plasma Level

Not really, sounds like a story my kids would tell me. Don't know what happened Dad, it just blew up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 pm 
Sparks Level

Self initiated arc, I don't believe they happen often:
More than 20 years ago the power company I worked for, settled a large sum with DNR for allegedly igniting a forest fire. An energized 115kv line went over the hill on which a forest burned, and indeed remained energized until later into the fire fighting efforts when the power company thought it would be wise to shut it down. Many months after the fire, the DNR claimed that a "spark jumped from the line" despite lack of protective device operation on that line, and despite two eyewitnesses of smoke originating from a location several hundred feet away from the power line. In federal court it became apparent the DNR had a compelling case and the power company settled quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:25 pm 
Plasma Level

Gary B wrote:
Self initiated arc, I don't believe they happen often:
More than 20 years ago the power company I worked for, settled a large sum with DNR for allegedly igniting a forest fire. An energized 115kv line went over the hill on which a forest burned, and indeed remained energized until later into the fire fighting efforts when the power company thought it would be wise to shut it down. Many months after the fire, the DNR claimed that a "spark jumped from the line" despite lack of protective device operation on that line, and despite two eyewitnesses of smoke originating from a location several hundred feet away from the power line. In federal court it became apparent the DNR had a compelling case and the power company settled quickly.

Well the PoCo should de-energize all lines crossing any DNR property to be sure this never happens again :)