It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Training for electricians
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:05 pm 

I would appreciate some recommendations for Arc Flash training. The company I work for has about 30 electricians and techs. It is hard for the more experienced to accept the new procedures. It would be beneficial to have training geared for the tradesman working out in the plant. Prefer something online or inhouse. The training should have scenarios, pictures, and procedures for the everyday tasks we do. We are almost done with our arc flash study and now is the time to get the right training on how to read the labels and do the work correctly and safely.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:26 pm 
Arc Level

Is your arc flash study being done in-house? If it is, a lot of consultants will include either in the price of the study or as a separate line item, for a NFPA 70E type training which would include the arc flash study results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
Plasma Level

Check out ESPS. Terry Becker is the maintainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:47 am 
Plasma Level

Or check out [url='http://www.brainfiller.com']www.brainfiller.com[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 am 

JV2011 wrote:
I would appreciate some recommendations for Arc Flash training. The company I work for has about 30 electricians and techs. It is hard for the more experienced to accept the new procedures. It would be beneficial to have training geared for the tradesman working out in the plant. Prefer something online or inhouse. The training should have scenarios, pictures, and procedures for the everyday tasks we do. We are almost done with our arc flash study and now is the time to get the right training on how to read the labels and do the work correctly and safely.

JV2011 wrote:

Check out Lewellyn.com. They provide arc flash analysis and training. Training includes how to read labels and safe work practices with regard to both arc flash and shock hazards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:06 am 

I've completed the ESPS training and it is definetly geared towards Electricians. Takes about 8hrs to complete as a computer based training program. There are some good videos and simulation excercises. I was hoping to use it for our engineering staff but I found it was not the right fit and more for Electricians. Have a volunteer from your staff try it (it is not very expensive)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:06 am 

JV2011 wrote:

AVO Training Institute offers on site training, but would need to do some development work for your specific site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 pm 
Sparks Level

[url='http://www.e-hazard.com']www.e-hazard.com[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm 

Hi JV2011,

Dave Smith here, president of Canada Training Group. We have been doing electrical safety training since 1980. Our instructors are all power maintenance electricians and utility safety professionals with an average of 40 years experience and have all been to hell and back again.

To get inside the head of your electricians and create the type of meaningful long term change in attitude and affective behaviour that you are seeking you need instructors who have been there, seen it and done it. Our instructors have isolated, racked and grounded switchgear thousands of times in their careers under normal, abnormal and insane conditions (ice storms, hurricanes, etc).

It will be simple to make a short list of training providers; just ask them how many thousands of times they have done these tasks. When your electricians are mentored by veterans who have been to hell so many times they can make the trip and be back before breakfast, they will listen, they will learn and they will change.

We do not yet work in the States or we would be happy to help you but this is the kind of instructor that your electricians need and deserve. If you want some telephone advice you can reach me at 1-306-845-7731.

Cheers and best of luck
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:50 am 

Our forum host Jim Phillips a.k.a. "brainfiller" is pretty well known for this too. Saw him a few times.