It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:08 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Question from the Line Industry?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:53 pm 

We are currently loooking at adopting AFB standards for our Line Mechanics. I have read some of the information about the 4' AFB and have a few questions.
If an individual is working on a 14.4 kv 3 phase system (asume 3' seperation between phases) what type of PPE is required to work this live?
Is there any additional cover-up required to coomply?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:10 pm 
Plasma Level

DaveE wrote:
We are currently loooking at adopting AFB standards for our Line Mechanics. I have read some of the information about the 4' AFB and have a few questions.
If an individual is working on a 14.4 kv 3 phase system (asume 3' seperation between phases) what type of PPE is required to work this live?

I know you are new to this and looking for answers but you need to get the NFPA 70E and do some research. 1st, your "line mechanics" have no business anywhere near 14.4kV. 2nd, voltage has little to do with it, you and your guys need some real training, real fast.

I dont want to come off as a jerk but please browse around this forum, you will learn alot, then come back and ask questions to clarifiy what you have learned, oh yeah, welcome to the forum. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:41 pm 
Sparks Level

I really don't understand when you say "the line industry", but I am a little slow. Is this utility equipment or industrial/commercial? If it is utility owned, your first book should be the NESC - ANSI C7.

Zog is right, if you haven't already, you should browse this forum well so you can be as confused as the rest of us.

Welcome to the forum also!
Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:51 pm 
Sparks Level

DaveE wrote:

If you are refering to what I would call line men, the whole concept of arc flash PPE might be very foreign. I have worked extensively on utilty distribution systems, and also worked extensively in industrial sites complying with NFPA 70E. At this point the two worlds do not meet well and my opinoin is that Utility Workers have long ago learned to deal safely with work conditions that would mortify most NFPA 70E experts. It would be a fun debate but many 'experts' would declare what has happened for the past 100 years is not possible. At this point, you can't get there from here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:52 pm 
Arc Level

Dave,

Not sure if your question was answered to your satisfaction, so I will throw my 2 cents in. From your description of 3 foot separation, it sounds like overhead distribution lines but your mention of "Line Mechanics" puzzles me as the pre-dominant terminology would be Lineman or Lineworker. Are you in the United States?

If this is an industrial or perhaps a mining operation, I would think that you would be best off contracting any work involving the 14 kv system to qualified, experienced journeyman lineman. This type of work is addressed better in the National Electric Safety Code, in addition to the thousands of hours of training and experience that a journeyman lineworker brings to the job.