It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:10 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc Flash Training Certifications
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 am 

What certifications are needed to perform in house arc flash training?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Arc Flash Training Certifications
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:20 pm 
Plasma Level

I don't know any certifications specific to arc flash training. We do an 8 hr training class based on NFPA 70E and if an arc flash study has been performed at the facility we will incorporate that into the training.

Our trainer has the following qualifications:
licensed electrician with 20 years field experience
OSHA 10 hr and 30 Hr training
Train the Trainer

We think it helps to have an electrician who has worked in the field train other electricians.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:41 am 
Sparks Level

Hi All

It seems the common term "Arc Flash Training" is not just something being used up here in Canada. Not to get off of the topic here, however we seem to have all forgotten about electric shock, which in many cases statistically is the clpret out there. It is workpalce electrical safety, or electrical safety in the workplace.

With regards to in-house training, I agree with Gary preferably a licenced electrician as they should be able to accommodate most technical, front line questions and discussions

In recent years NFPA has established 2 certifications- CESCP, and CESW. Something you may want to consider in obtaining.

To my knowledge there are no other recognized certifications. Which adds to the problem. It seems anyone can go out and refer to themselves aas an expert

Thanks and I hope that this helps

Len

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 am 
Sparks Level

I've been doing arc flash study for several years and to the best of my knowledge, there's no "Certification" needed to train. I also don't think there is a certification for your people that's available from any accredited organization.
Because you've gone to the effort of finding the Arc Flash Forum Website, you should know that the person responsible for this site is Jim Phillips. To the best of my knowledge, Jim is the best source for your training. I've attended other organizations 8 hour training sessions and was not happy with their training. I found the class filled with lots of technical details that did little to make my people safer.
You can send your people to Jim's arc flash training classes or have Jim come to your facility. Either way, he'll provide you with the best training possible. BTW, Jim's both nationally and internationally recognized as an expert in arc flash and shock hazard.

The thing that appeals to about Jim Phillips' approach is he's trying to sell you anything. He's there to do one thing and that is to train your people about how to work safely. And Jim's the secretary of the IEEE 1584 committee. NFPA 70E relies on IEEE 1584 for arc flash and shock hazard standards. I don't think you'll find a better, more qualified source to do your arc flash and shock hazard training that right here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:43 am 
Sparks Level

I need to correct my my post as I found a mistake.

If you were to hire Jim Phillips for your training, he will [b]not try to sell you anything.[/b] Jim's company is all about training, not selling your other products or services.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:30 am 
Sparks Level

OSHA doesn't have anything laid out about this. Training must be effective and documented from the OSHA perspective.

Len is definitely right that we really are talking about "electrical safety training". Just "arc flash training" unless it really encompasses all the aspects of electrical safety is inadequate.

We train about 25,000 people per year and here is what we require of trainers.
1. Strong electrical experience. (CECSP desirable). Most are former IBEW who received engineering degrees or went into management in a large corporation. The average safety professional cannot answer technical and application questions. Understanding of the electrical wiring codes is also preferable.
2. Strong OSHA background (OSHA 10, 30 and 500 desirable).
3. Train the Trainer (our class is 4 days on LV and HV).
4. Vetted Materials (we do not allow trainers to "make up" their own materials). Ours have been in existence since 1995 and upgraded every 6 months with a continuous improvement process from trainee feedback and over 1000 trainers who have used the materials.
5. Provide a copy of OSHA and NFPA 70E standards in the training so workers can learn more than they were able to absorb in the class (most trainers do not provide an NFPA 70E and open your company up to copyright infringement).
6. Get feedback. We provide a feedback system for all in-house trainers. We have had many go through TTT only to find they really don't know enough to be effective in the field.
7. Continuing education. All our in-house trainers attend the IEEE Electrical Safety Workshop annually and many attend committee meetings like NFPA 70E or CSA Z462 and all trainers are required to read several newsletters and blogs to keep up to date.
8. I think any trainer should be active on sites like this one and others which allow for questioning and learning.

We don't exclude safety professionals but we do think there should be strong electrical background or extensive experience in NFPA 70E/CSA Z462 or other applicable standards.

Hugh Hoagland
e-Hazard.com

Last edited by wbd on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
deleted personal contact info

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:44 am 
Plasma Level

I'd agree about the safety professional part. I know this sounds harsh but basically if you have never been qualified (in 70E terms), you probably can't really be a trainer.

Some examples of rules and statements generated by safety professionals should give you examples of the problem:
1. No energized work (how do you properly de-energize).
2. OSHA 1910 Subchapter J covers ALL LOTO procedures. No exceptions.
3. If you can see metal (usually copper), it's exposed.
4. Arc flash PPE must be used for all energized work.
5. All workers must stay at least 10 feet away from energized electrical equipment.
6. Electrical equipment is inherently dangerous.
7. All electrical arcs are arc flashes.
8. Electrocution can happen at any voltage. All shocks are unacceptable.
9. Overhead line work must only be glove work.
10. Overhead line work must only be hot stick work.
11. Electricians must guarantee 100% absolute workmanship every time.
12. All accidents are caused by human error.
13. All electrical failures are preventable.
14. You can see electricity.
15. Scotch 88 can be used to insulate anything.
16. All ladders are conductors.
17. Water is a conductor under all circumstances. Water and electricity don't mix.
18. All liquids including mineral oil are conductors.
19. Just walking by electrical equipment is dangerous.
20. All shocks are fatal, it's just a matter of how lucky you are.
21. Arc flash PPE works 100% of the time.
22. Arc flash PPE guarantees that you will not be burned in any way.
23. Arc flash PPE does not increase hazards of the job.
24. Arc flash is totally unpredictable.
25. A door on an electrical panel is an effective shield against an arc flash/arc blast.
26. Arc blast will kill you dead at 40 cal/cm^2 and maybe even lower.
27. Cut resistant gloves (at any level rating) guarantee protection against all cuts.
28. Working with electricity causes brain damage. All electricians are stupid and need to be protected by the safety professional from themselves.
29. Only safety professionals truly understand safety, because they care about it more than anyone else.
30. St. Elmo's fire, and arcing and rattling and similar electrical phenomena in high humidity conditions on pole lines is an electrical failure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:21 am 
Sparks Level

Paul, Those are scary but I have even heard crazier things. Sales people can be even worse depending on what they are selling.

Hugh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:53 am 
Sparks Level

"Those are scary but I have even heard crazier things. Sales people can be even worse depending on what they are selling."

Yes, but people generally treat sales people like politicians, i.e." they know the politicians are lying, because their lips are moving".

The above list is like going to your doctor, and hearing "we need to balance out your 4 humors, so lets try a little bleeding"