It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:46 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: PE Stamp
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:39 pm 

Can anyone list the states that require a PE stamp for the incident energy analysis?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: PE Stamp
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm 
Sparks Level

I'm not sure such a list exists. I think it comes down to being under engineering practice. In order to practice engineering you need to be a PE or be performing the work under the direct supervision of a PE.

If that thinking is accurate then it would be so for all states.

I'm not licensed in all states or even close so I could very well be wrong. Looking foward to hearing others opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:19 am 
Plasma Level

Hi There. I believe bbaumer is correct and there are usually no PE requirements specifically for the incident energy analysis (except an example at the end). However, most states consider an arc flash/incident energy analysis an engineering service which would fall under state/provincial licensing laws. So, check your individual state board. Also, consider if something goes wrong and this became a legal case.

This is something that had to be addressed when a colleague and I wrote the first draft of IEEE 1584.1 - IEEE Guide for the Specification of Scope and Deliverable Requirements for an Arc-Flash Hazard Calculation Study.

The first draft stated that the study must be performed under the direction of a registered Professional Engineer. There was quite a bit of push back on the first draft – mostly from those that are not PE’s.

The final language that went into the 2013 standard states:

The arc-flash study should be performed by, or under the direction of, a qualified person with the necessary knowledge about power system analysis and arc-flash hazard analysis or experience in performing power system analysis and arc-flash hazard analysis. It is recommended that engineers who are new to performing the studies obtain peer or third-party reviews from a more experienced engineer in this specific subject.

NOTE—Engineering licensing requirements of individual jurisdictions (states and/or provinces/nationalities) may require the analysis to be performed by, or under the direction of, a registered professional engineer.

As far as specifically required be an individual state, years ago, I was contacted by the Chairman of the Florida Board of Professional Engineers regarding their proposed rules. They were going to require that arc flash studies are performed on all new designs and they be conducted by or under the jurisdiction of a licensed P.E. Best advice, check the individual state's laws.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:51 pm 
Plasma Level

It depends. A PE stamp is not required under the industrial exemption,in house work, in federal jurisdictions, most electric utilities public or private, and the manufacturers exemption. Out of the 10-20% of engineers with a PE and the fraction of those that claim to know something about doing power studies for the most part only know how to feed data into a software program and print out the results. On the interview their knowledge usually comes up lacking.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:52 am 

Most of the utilities I work for now require a stamp for documents like an arc-flash, short circuit, or coordination studies.

Most of the time, the people actually doing the study are not licensed in the state where the study is taking place. Only the PM or electrical lead (depending on the discipline of the PM) may have a license in that state.

As Paul stated, if you are going to a consultant, meet with the people doing the study. The sales engineer probably knows nothing about what you are talking about.