It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 11:25 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Required Shock/Arc Flash Risk Assesment and Job Briefing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 am 

I am wrestling with how to relate to the risk assessments, shock and arc flash, and the job briefing requirements. Clearly these are needed for certain tasks. Jobs that are done infrequently, that are complex with a variety of hazards, etc. My question is how do I relate to these requirements when the assigned task is basic and routine for a qualified competent worker? An example might be troubleshooting why the lights in a classroom aren't working or why the conveyor has stopped. I am assuming here that the worker is familiar with all the equipment involved in these scenarios and has had experience with and interacted with any and all equipment involved in the past. I am also assuming that the first time that worker interacted with that equipment and the manager assigned the task that these studies and briefings took place. Under these conditions would it be inappropriate for a manager to simply say "Bob please see why the lights in classroom 201 aren't working" or is more required here?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have on these requirements.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Required Shock/Arc Flash Risk Assesment and Job Briefing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 pm 
Plasma Level

Utilities have done this for years because it is a requirement in OSHA 1910.269. It's ridiculous and yes you talk about hazards like whether or not it's raining, loose gravel, that kind of thing. It came out of at one time JSA/JHA's were required in which we take a look at a task and do an analysis to hopefully capture all the hazards, and then use this for critical tasks. It then turned into having a generic check box form for jobs where a JSA/JHA didn't exist, hopefully slowly filling in the gaps. Which became a pencil whipping job for tasks where the whole process is idiotic at best. Then the original JSA/JHA system where a group of high level people actually spent quality time doing a risk assessment on a critical task turned into a pencil whipping job on a bunch of check boxes which has now gotten into 70E.

In the formal procedure, which is what OSHA actually requires, it is a valid exercise and used extensively in high risk industries like chemical plants. In the routine task category it's a total waste of time. And as to the pencil whipping forms...there is ZERO documented evidence that this has done anything for anyone, anywhere. There is no documented evidence that any injuries have been eliminated. And the 70E Committee swallowed the kool aid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 pm 

Thanks for the reply Paul. I have a follow up question that I am hoping some folks can provide some guidance with. How are you advising your clients to implement the "Job Safety Plan and Job Briefing" requirement including its requirement for both a Shock and Flash risk analysis. 70E does not to the best of my knowledge exempt simplistic, routine task being done by a qualified worker with experience with the system or components involved from this requirement.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 pm 
Plasma Level

See 1910.132 for what is required.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadis ... =STANDARDS

70E fails to meet the regulatory requirement.