It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:09 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: To generate Arc flash in the lab
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:08 am 

Dear All,
We are trying to develop technology for Arc flash detection and for that we want to artificially create Arc flash in our lab to analyze the data. So, I want to know that is this possible to buy any arc flash generator to artificially create arc flash in the lab? Can you suggest some equipment as an arc flash generation? Please, help with this.
Thanks,
Alok Verma

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: To generate Arc flash in the lab
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:29 am 
Plasma Level

There are only a handful of labs in the world that perform arc flash testing due to the extremely dangerous nature of the arc flash and the need for special equipment. Labs that I have worked with have a motor - generator set so the fault is electrically decoupled from the utility system. Fault currents can reach 100 kA at lower voltages i.e. 208V and 480V. There are many details such as switchgear, variable impedance (from switching) resistance and inductance in the circuit, potentially toxic gasses etc.

So, to undertake developing arc flash testing facilities is an expensive and detailed project. It is often better to contract with outside laboratories. PM me and I can provide information about a few labs depending on where you are located.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 pm 

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your reply. We are also working on the motor-generator set so, you may help me on this. I am new here and not able to PM you. Can you send me your email ID to discuss? My lab is present at Nanyang technological University, Singapore.
Is it possible to buy a new arc flash generator?
Thanks & Best Regards,

Jim Phillips (brainfiller) wrote:
There are only a handful of labs in the world that perform arc flash testing due to the extremely dangerous nature of the arc flash and the need for special equipment. Labs that I have worked with have a motor - generator set so the fault is electrically decoupled from the utility system. Fault currents can reach 100 kA at lower voltages i.e. 208V and 480V. There are many details such as switchgear, variable impedance (from switching) resistance and inductance in the circuit, potentially toxic gasses etc.

So, to undertake developing arc flash testing facilities is an expensive and detailed project. It is often better to contract with outside laboratories. PM me and I can provide information about a few labs depending on where you are located.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:22 am 
Sparks Level

Kinectrics does this testing but the wavelengths you use are crucial since you want to avoid false trips.
Different metals provide different spectra so that should be a consideration in real equipment.

We are working on a wavelength paper for publication in the next year or so from real arc flashes in the lab with and without equipment and with different electrodes. This will be useful but good luck till them. Any method to create a short should work but you will want proper protection. We use copper, AL and Stainless rods in our test set up. Just need something to trip it immediately after the short. Should be able to rig something simple using a fuse.

Many have developed these technologies and there is a lot of opportunity to prevent arcs or quench them quickly to prevent worker injury.

Good luck,

Hugh Hoagland
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:20 am 

Using a HV test set we can create small arcs - these are controlled and limited of course, so relatively safe. 10kV produces a nice little flash/bang for lab use. Also have you considered a welding set? Again controllable but also available for a longer duration. Just don't look at it without eye protection!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:38 pm 
Sparks Level

contact Kent Walker at Mersen in Newburyport, Ma 978 462 3131

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:06 am 
Sparks Level

alokverma.iitr wrote:
Dear All,
We are trying to develop technology for Arc flash detection and for that we want to artificially create Arc flash in our lab to analyze the data. So, I want to know that is this possible to buy any arc flash generator to artificially create arc flash in the lab? Can you suggest some equipment as an arc flash generation? Please, help with this.

Flash wrote:
contact Kent Walker at Mersen in Newburyport, Ma 978 462 3131

hmm interesting to know Mersen is in business of selling arc flash generation equipment.