It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:01 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Providing arc flash training.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:35 pm 

I work for a small engineering firm that has just purchased EasyPower software and we are providing arc flash hazard analysis for our customers. Our customers have asked us to also help train their personnel. What requirements or certifications do we need to have in order to provide NFPA 70E training for our customers after completing an analysis?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:05 pm 
Plasma Level

levans wrote:
I work for a small engineering firm that has just purchased EasyPower software and we are providing arc flash hazard analysis for our customers. Our customers have asked us to also help train their personnel. What requirements or certifications do we need to have in order to provide NFPA 70E training for our customers after completing an analysis?

There are none. But just knowing what the 70E and 1584 say and doing effective training are night and day. If you have to ask, you shouldn't be training others. And if you "just purchased" easypower, I assume you don't have much experience to share.

The material is easy, real knowledge transfer is the hard part. I suggest you sub a real training provider for the training and attend your self. Don't use some "we train on everything safety" company use someone with real world experience and with credentials in the feild. White papers, board/commitee members, conference speakers, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:58 am 
Sparks Level

Levans,

Like yourself, I did some checking into the subject prior to beginning an inhouse training program for our electricians and could not find any specific requirements. However, since you are a consulting firm, you might check to see if your state professional board has any requirements.

As to your capabilities, you need to review them with yourself to determine whether to do the instruction. Do you bring the experience? Are you an effective teacher? Can you hold the audience's attention for the time it takes to cover a lot of very dry material? These are key questions. And remember that your audience is generally not engineers so keep that in mind for your content (you probably don't want to teach the IEEE equations). You may have a great deal of experience in the arc flash area but still only have begun using EasyPower.

If you are comfortable with your ability to do the training, then I think that the group that does the study can bring some special insight into the training, pointing out specific areas that might be a greater hazard than most realized. You can personalize the training for the facility. If you're not comfortable with this, then sub it out to a more qualified group or individual.