It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:24 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc fault
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:54 am 

Hi,
I'm jonathan, and I'm currently working on Arc Fault Detection to obtain my PhD. I have designed a new system for reproducing arc fault on a 300V DC line. This can produce sustainable arc. With a 10 ohms load in series, I measure an arc voltage of nearly 200V in 1 mm gap with tungsten electrodes. But what I found in litterature tells me that the voltage must be of nearly 30V. I haven't the IEEE 1584 documentation, and I don't know if it can help me.
I really need help about this. I hope sommeone have suggestions or advices about this measurement problem.

Best regards

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 am 

djho wrote:
Hi,
I'm jonathan, and I'm currently working on Arc Fault Detection to obtain my PhD. I have designed a new system for reproducing arc fault on a 300V DC line. This can produce sustainable arc. With a 10 ohms load in series, I measure an arc voltage of nearly 200V in 1 mm gap with tungsten electrodes. But what I found in litterature tells me that the voltage must be of nearly 30V. I haven't the IEEE 1584 documentation, and I don't know if it can help me.
I really need help about this. I hope sommeone have suggestions or advices about this measurement problem.

Best regards

If you've designed a new system then how can you expect the results to match the one's in the literature?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:53 pm 

Because it reproduces the same phenomenon with the same experimental conditions. So, it must lead to the same measure. My first opinion is that I forgot a parameter which produces this voltage difference. For the moment I can control the gap distance and the atmospheric pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:04 pm 
Arc Level

You realize that IEEE did not test DC arcs, only 3 phase AC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:22 am 

haze10 wrote:
You realize that IEEE did not test DC arcs, only 3 phase AC.

No, I do not realize...but my system is being modified for single phase AC after then will be changed again for three phase AC. It's a growing processus and at each steps the power is growing too. The second step will be pass in september.
But at the first step (300 VDC), it seems that I haven't the good arc voltage. So I'm just reasearching for a figure or an abacus about arc voltage for different gaps and for different electrodes materials. I was thinking that it was in the IEEE documentation. I'm IEEE member and IEEE 1584 is not part of my subscription. I want to be sure that this figure are inside before buy the IEEE documentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:29 am 

If someone is interresting in this subject, i inform that I have succefuly rich my goals. I'm now able to generate 220V AC arc initiated by overvoltage :

I have a lot of questions and i hope there is here somebody who will accept to start a discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:31 am 
Sparks Level

djho, what country are you in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:05 am 

I'm in France (sorry, nobody can be perfect !!! ).
Here the power provided is 220 V RMS at 50 Hz, and home protections are about 30 amps.
There is no arc fault circuit interrupter in homes and industries like in the states. So there is a big buisness wich is beginning with AFCI.
I'm studiying arc faults detection algorithm, and i'm searching for typical trip curves. The application is not for homes but for aircraft safety (AFCB). In aircrafts, there is two main source DC (48V) and AC (115V 400Hz). For the moment i'm able to produce those two kinds of arc fault, and i can control current, load, voltage, gap, atmospheric pressure and arc duration.

Best regards

PS: I apologize for my poor english, please do not hesitate to correct my mistakes. I will be very greatful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:23 am 

Here is a picture of arc fault I can do. It is absolutly controlled (current, voltage, load...)