It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:11 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Testing a Duplex without gloves, 70E acceptable or not?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:50 pm 

Could someone please point out to me where the 2018 70E has verbiage that prohibits the voltage testing of receptacles without insulated gloves on. The attached picture is just for clarity of the question. 130.7.C.7 says that protection needs to be worn where there is the danger of hand injury from an electrical shock from exposed energized parts. I would contend that there is nothing exposed when testing a duplex with a modern voltage tester. I would also argue that the Restricted Approach Boundary for shock protection is not being crossed since no conductive parts are exposed. Thanks in advance for any help.
Jerry
Attachment:
22973.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Testing a Duplex without gloves, 70E acceptable or not?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:40 am 

Since there are no EXPOSED, live parts, I would agree with you that no shock protection is required. It's only when you have unguarded, live parts that you have to risk assess and apply shock protection as needed.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:10 pm 
Sparks Level

The receptacle is safe, unless there is obvious damage.

The only reason a person might wear gloves is if they sometimes touch the metal probes of a test meter. As odd as that sounds, people often forget and touch the tips of the meter probe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:57 am 
Sparks Level

As mentioned above, no exposed energized parts. As stated in 70E and CSA Z462 the restricted approach boundary is avoid contact. Even if the receptacle was somehow damaged, I likely would not wear rubber insulated gloves.

Hope that this helps

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:05 pm 
Sparks Level

I believe plugging in a device is more dangerous with the prongs being energized by your fingers before it is fully inserted in the outlet. (North American, some regions have safer plugs)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:59 pm 
Sparks Level

Leonard:

Your Comment
"As mentioned above, no exposed energized parts. As stated in 70E and CSA Z462 the restricted approach boundary is avoid contact. Even if the receptacle was somehow damaged, I likely would not wear rubber insulated gloves."

Response:
I am in total agreement with what you have stated about "avoid contact", however, isn't this area of 70E somewhat problematic?? My reference is not to a 120V receptacle, however, what about a control panel with dozens of exposed/energized 120V terminals inside the panel and on the door, the "avoid contact" clause seems like a prelude to trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:31 pm 

I know it might seem like "above and beyond" but doing the same thing all the time provides better results. Teach the qualified electrical work to use shock protection gloves if they expect or could have voltage present. Yes, in an outlet, it is touch safe to not able to be exposed. But that is a rare time they would use the meter for troubleshooting items that are touch safe.
Another reference is
This link then provides references back to OSHA as well. Granted, if your in an area that does not follow OSHA, then you have different rules to play by.

Last edited by wbd on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
removed link to commercial website

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:22 pm 

Leonard wrote:
As mentioned above, no exposed energized parts. As stated in 70E and CSA Z462 the restricted approach boundary is avoid contact. Even if the receptacle was somehow damaged, I likely would not wear rubber insulated gloves.

Hope that this helps

This guidance is assuming that energized equipment/parts/etc. are unguarded. In the OP's initial question, the parts are guarded and therefore we don't need to talk about "avoid contact". IMHO.

Mike