It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:03 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: How does110.1(I) Relate to Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:27 pm 

Article 110.1(I) addresses Job Safety Planning and Job Briefing. It does not differentiate between Maintenance and Repair versus routine Troubleshooting. What would a Maintenace Supervisor responsibility be as relates to a maintenace worker assigned the task of determining why a conveyor isn't running? Is a documented Job Safety Plan and Job Briefing required? 110.1(I) appears to be prescriptive. For example 110.1(I)(3)a states "A description of the job and the individual tasks". My experience is troubleshooting is more of an art form that can take different directions based on readings taken. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: How does110.1(I) Relate to Troubleshooting
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 pm 
Sparks Level

I agree with you. Trouble shooting is more of an art. And thinking you can somehow do a job brief on a breakdown isn't reasonable. A machine fails for some reason and it's your job to find the reason and fix it. How can you do a job brief that? That is unless the job brief is very general in nature; you can't know what the trouble shooting person will find unless it's something that's happened before and is expected. If that's the case, then I can see a job briefing might make sense. For example, if the machine is down because it's blown a fuse (again), "here is what we need to do". However, if it's something like a burned out control transformer - a transformer that's not failed before, how do you job brief that?

Trouble shooting is by nature, a reaction to an unexpected problem. Having a perfectly good tire blowout is not something that we expect. But it does happen. If I was doing a job briefing on trouble shooting it would be jut to state that you will wear PPE, you will establish the proper boundaries and if necessary, barricade the area. And do not be afraid to ask for help. Do not venture in areas where you are not qualified. Further, to insist that no one be allowed to bother the person doing the work.

That restates to follow best practices and if he needs help, it's our expectation and is reasonable that the worker will ask for assistance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:51 am 

I am sorry to disagree with you but troubleshooting is definitely Not an art.

Canada Training Group has extensive experience in this as we have been teaching deductive reasoning to troubleshooters since 1981.

We drill into our students, through over a hundred troubleshooting projects on multiple realistic simulators, that deductive reasoning is definitely and absolutely a science.

Our students are unanimous that by following our protocols they will be exponentially safer.

Respectfully
Dave Smith
President
Canada Training Group

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:53 am 
Sparks Level

You stated, "Is a documented Job Safety Plan and Job Briefing required?". I would say that you do not need a Job Safety Plan and Job Briefing to perform basic Trouble Shooting. The more complex and higher the AF and Shock hazards may require a Job Safety Plan and Job Briefing.

However, once you find the cause of the problem, then you may need a Safety Plan and Job Briefing to repair or replace the equipment.