It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:48 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Work in Junction Boxes and Troughs
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:53 am 

Good Morning,

Has anyone required arc rated PPE for work in junction boxes or troughs with no exposed live parts, but has energized insulated conductors? What if a split bolt is not taped up well, or a wire nut falls off....? I know my opinion, but was curious if anyone else has run into this discussion with their employees or employer.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Work in Junction Boxes and Troughs
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:43 am 

I have seen a fair number of electricians put on voltage rated gloves and protective gloves when handling wiring in a pull/junction box. Although I haven't seen a written practice for it, I think the use of voltage rated gloves is good practice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:41 pm 

Risk assessment needed based on task.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:24 pm 
Sparks Level

Hi All, As an electrician, my first thought is what is the voltage system- single phase, 3 phase, etc? How does the junction box or trough present? Age and condition? Have I been here before and know something about the installation, etc? You mentioned that we have insulated conductors and wire connectors. However pending on who was there last, we may have a wire connector come off leaving an exposed connection when moving the wires apart perhaps. Regardless of the voltage system, I would likely don a pair of rubber insulated gloves with leather protectors. At least some protection from shock and those gloves can offer very good protection from at least the heat if a short circuit was to occur and resulting in a flash. Likely may not go with hte hard hat faceshield and balaclava as it may be more combersome and restrictive pending on the location. As mentioned below some form of a risk assessment.

I hope that this is of some help
All the Best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:27 am 
Sparks Level

This would be similar to an electrical manhole. If requested, an arc flash label could be installed, as if the conductor was a splice point or a termination. If there were multiple voltages/circuits in the enclosure a label could be developed for the worst-case shock and arc flash levels.