It is currently Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Balaclava - what is NFPA trying to say?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:17 am 
Arc Level

130.10(b) Head Protection, is basically saying that a balaclava is required at 12 or under cal/cm, and a hood above that.
But Table 130.7C15(c) does not require a balaclava at 4 cal and below. From 4 to 8 it includes the balaclava. Over 8 it moves up to the hood.

So which is correct?

Why is NFPA contradicting itself between the Table the Text. Where else does the 12 cal threshold come into play.
Where are the cal levels for open back, balaclava, and hood?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Balaclava - what is NFPA trying to say?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:55 pm 
Sparks Level

The difference is between an arc flash assessment, i.e., AF labels installed versus having to use the Tables. So, not contradictory.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:46 am 
Arc Level

Sorry, but how is this NOT contradictory? Whether through analysis or Table method, there is an associated incident energy level.
So a worker walks up to an AF label that says 3.0 cal/cm so he has to use a balaclava. The same worker walks across the room to a panel that doesn't have an AF label and the task table informs him to use Level 1 PPE - so he doesn't need to done the balaclava.
I'm still struggling to see how that makes sense. The task based on the Table might have an IE of 3.9 cals which puts him at greater risk.

Maybe its just me, but I find it contradictory and confusing. Whether its by analysis or Task Table, the PPE should be the same for the same level of risk.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:31 am 
Plasma Level

Let me see if I can add to the confusion...

There is still a view that performing an incident energy analysis - IEEE 1584 calculations (which uses Table 130.10(b)) and using the PPE Category Tables 130.7(C)15(a) (b) and (c) are two separate arc flash risk assessment methods. There have been attempts to correlate the two methods better but it has not happened.

Arc flash PPE category 1 (4 cal/cm^2) does not require a balaclava because the arc flash boundary is 19 inches and the working distance is 18 inches - i.e. the side and back of the head are outside the AFB. Just had this discussion at the last NFPA 70E meeting a few weeks ago.

My usual disclaimer: This is my personal comment and may or may not reflect the views of NFPA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:27 am 

Would it not be true that if an incident energy analysis indicated an arc flash boundary LESS than the back of the head that a balaclava would NOT be required?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:25 am 
Plasma Level

Roger wrote:
Would it not be true that if an incident energy analysis indicated an arc flash boundary LESS than the back of the head that a balaclava would NOT be required?

Due to liability reasons, that is a question that I can not (should not) answer.