It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:12 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Master Electrician Requirement
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:33 pm 

Does anyone know when a master electrician is required. We had heard from somewhere that a Master Electrician is required to be on site to overlook electrical work and programs. I do not see this in any regs. Does anyone know if this seems true and where it is documented?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:39 pm 
Plasma Level

Scheids78 wrote:
Does anyone know when a master electrician is required. We had heard from somewhere that a Master Electrician is required to be on site to overlook electrical work and programs. I do not see this in any regs. Does anyone know if this seems true and where it is documented?

Need more details, what type of facility, what state?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 pm 
Arc Level

Classically, the Master License is used in most States as a requirement to pull permits and oversee work. Some States let journyeman pull permit. For a site, where the electricians are your employees, they may not need to be licenses at all, or the employer can apply for a 'site' license.
Like Zog says, it all depends on your State and its labor laws. Most States have it set up that you have to have a Master's in order to own an electrical contracting company, or have one registered as an employee of the company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:38 pm 

My guess is that Scheids78 is not from the US, he used the term 'Regs'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:04 pm 

We are located in MI and Manufacture food products. We have our own electricians and have an electrical contractor on site full time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:16 pm 
Plasma Level

Scheids78 wrote:
We are located in MI and Manufacture food products. We have our own electricians and have an electrical contractor on site full time.

Thanks to the UAW, MI has some pretty loose requirements for having a Master Electrician on site in manufacturing plants. I donlt think (Here I go thinking) you need a master there, but don't take my word, one of the other guys will jump in and give you the straight answer. If not I will find out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:25 pm 

Master/Supervising Electrician

Another term for the licensed electricianother than Master is the Supervising Electricain.
The licensed person is the one who is allowed to take out permits for electrical work, and he is the one who gets the Red Tag for non compliat work done by the electricians under his supervision. In most jurdisticutions, if job is Red Tag the contractor cannot pull new permits until the iolation has been corrected