It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Older Equipment Exclusion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:27 am 

I seem to recall reading that if equipment was older than a certain date ( early 90's rings a bell) you are not required to perform an arc flash analysis. Has anybody else ran across this? If so where is it found?

Thanks for your help. Thank you to those you have answered my previous questions as well.

Derrick

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:41 am 
Plasma Level

Scheids78 wrote:
I seem to recall reading that if equipment was older than a certain date ( early 90's rings a bell) you are not required to perform an arc flash analysis. Has anybody else ran across this? If so where is it found?

Thanks for your help. Thank you to those you have answered my previous questions as well.

Derrick

Never heard that one, makes no sense at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:13 am 

OSHA 1910 Subpart S

This is a part of the revised OSHA code that we are using to require all of our sites complete the basic electrical studies (arc flash optional if you fit on the tables). I have only included a portion of the OSHA code

1910.302(b)(1)
Requirements applicable to all installations. The following requirements apply to all electrical installations and utilization equipment, regardless of when they were designed or installed:

┬ž 1910.303(b) -- Examination, installation, and use of equipment

1910.303(b)(4)
Interrupting rating. Equipment intended to interrupt current at fault levels shall have an interrupting rating sufficient for the nominal circuit voltage and the current that is available at the line terminals of the equipment. Equipment intended to interrupt current at other than fault levels shall have an interrupting rating at nominal circuit voltage sufficient for the current that must be interrupted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:22 am 

I agree it does not make sense. Thats why I was trying to figure out where I could of read it. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:28 am 

There is an OSHA reg that pertains to older equipment. But it has to do with the ability to accept a lock for lockout\tagout purposes .All newer equipment must be capable of accepting a lock.