It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: I currently have water dripping into my 800a 2000v mains
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 pm 

mfgr rep has told me that by code a 10 foot safety perimeter is adequate by code as it will travel that distance to ground.
I have been on the recieving end of a 100a #4 square d that blew and witnesses said I was engulfed by a 20' ball of blue fire.
This is much more power by far.. Ive moved the perimeter back to 20' but cannot go near the main to switch it off as puddle has developed at base of unit now and cabinet and disconnect are coated with water... :eek:
I am brave but not stupid all secondary disconnects that could be terminated are off. what size boom am I to expect here?? and should the power company have been in here already to pull it at the pole/transformer???

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:56 pm 
Plasma Level

justme wrote:
mfgr rep has told me that by code a 10 foot safety perimeter is adequate by code as it will travel that distance to ground.
I have been on the recieving end of a 100a #4 square d that blew and witnesses said I was engulfed by a 20' ball of blue fire.
This is much more power by far.. Ive moved the perimeter back to 20' but cannot go near the main to switch it off as puddle has developed at base of unit now and cabinet and disconnect are coated with water... :eek:
I am brave but not stupid all secondary disconnects that could be terminated are off. what size boom am I to expect here?? and should the power company have been in here already to pull it at the pole/transformer???

Not much real info here, never heard of a 2kV system. What country are you in? What "code" is this rep refereing to?

You need to get power off somehow, you have not told us enough about your system for us to tell you the safest way to do that or what size "boom" to expect.

Call your power company, stop the water, get a teting company to dry out and test all of the gear before you re-energize it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:16 pm 

I already called the power company The corporate world is crazy but I have safety on my side now to transfer phones to corp head quarters etc thanks Ill check in later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:19 pm 
Plasma Level

justme wrote:
I already called the power company The corporate world is crazy but I have safety on my side now to transfer phones to corp head quarters etc thanks Ill check in later.

Find a testing company in your area

http://www.netaworld.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:29 am 

lol no I know what happens when 2 phases of a 2000amp service get joined by water lol.
It was trying to explain how it would result in a giant boom to people who wont allow me to work on hot 110v circuits.
and why I was not willing to go shut off the main while standing in water that is running through the main breaker.
It is all in the past now but there should be some electrical explosion videos here for reference material for the corporate penny pinchers.
U tube is banned from corporate site.
Glad I found this site I was desperate to prove that water into 2000amp main breaker is a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:33 am 

it doesnt take much real info to analize that 1 unless you are trying to predetermine the explosion intensity.