It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:26 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Battery Modelling on ETAP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:31 am 

Hi Guys,
Trying to model batteries on ETAP for a DC Arc Flash study. Unfortunately the library for batteries on ETAP is very limited and does not have the real life models that we find on site. I'm using Maximum Power Transfer method to calculate my DC IE. My question is that what parameters of the real battery should I keep similar to the ETAP model when finding an alternative ?

Initially I thought that I should pick a battery on ETAP that has similar amp hour rating, specific gravity and Vpc. But unfortunately the amp-hour rating and short circuit ratings on ETAP are never similar to the real life batteries simultaneously. One of the either is always off.

Upon more research, my opinion is that I pick batteries on ETAP that have similar short circuit ratings to my real battery since the Maximum Power Transfer method uses steady state fault current to calculate the DC arcing current, so the amp-hour rating does not play any role. But i'm not sure ? Is that a valid assumption ?

thanks !

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: Battery Modelling on ETAP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:56 am 

Hi Shawn;

I don’t have ETAP and do not know its DC capabilities.

To determine arc flash incident energy you need the short circuit current for the specific model cell used in your system. This information is available from the battery manufacturer. Some battery manufacturers publish the short circuit currents on their data sheets while other make you ask for it.

Assuming most cells of a specific amp-hour rating have similar short circuit currents is a mistake. The short circuit current of a cell depends upon the design of the cell and is not directly rated to the amp-hour size.

Many stationary batteries have one or more cable connections within the battery, inter-tier or inter-row cables. The resistances of these cables reduce the battery short circuit current and thus the incident energy at the battery terminals.

Arc times for a battery will depend upon battery voltage. NFPA 70E recommends using a 2-second arc time, but that time isn’t achievable below 250VDC. Arc time has a large effect on incident energy.

I have a pretty decent library of discharge and short circuit data for stationary batteries. Let me know if you need data on a specific model cell and I'll see if I can help.

Profile Send private message