It is currently Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:28 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: loadside PV inverter output breaker
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:37 am 

does PV that is loadside connected impact short circuit, selective coordination & arc flash calculations? I received a short circuit, selective coordination & arc flash study for an assisted living facility. The building is now installing a 289kw PV system with about 300 amps of AC inverter output that is connected to a loadside breaker at the service equipment switchboard. The PV system is being installed while construction is ongoing but after the study was released, the PV was not part of the released study. Thanks in advance for any info

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: loadside PV inverter output breaker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:56 am 
Sparks Level

mdempsey wrote:
does PV that is loadside connected impact short circuit, selective coordination & arc flash calculations? I received a short circuit, selective coordination & arc flash study for an assisted living facility. The building is now installing a 289kw PV system with about 300 amps of AC inverter output that is connected to a loadside breaker at the service equipment switchboard. The PV system is being installed while construction is ongoing but after the study was released, the PV was not part of the released study. Thanks in advance for any info

I worked with photovoltalic grid tie inverters. The DC voltage generated by the photo cells does need to be factored into the arc flash calculations. In the case of the inverters I worked with, that DC voltage could be as high as 1000 VDC.

Post subject: Re: loadside PV inverter output breaker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:35 am 

PV inverters do contribute to the system fault levels, thus affecting the arc flash calculations. Inverter manufacturers have typical fault current values listed for their inverters.