It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc Flash Study Scope and Level of Detail
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:07 am 
Plasma Level

I just returned from an IEEE 1584 working group meeting. We are undertaking a new project to help resolve some of the issues posted on this site such as scope, labeling, level of detail etc.

This subcommittee is developing a new document to help people specify an arc flash study so consultants can all bid the same scope. The concern is right now too many people are not sure what should be the correct scope of work and level of detail. Some consultants are a little over zealous in the level of detail while other consultants do not provide enough. The owner quite often has no idea what they want other than they want an “Arc Flash Studyâ€.

This document should help to alleviate some of the problems discussed here. We hope to have a draft developed ASAP.

Stay tuned!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:57 am 

Arc Flash Scope and Level of Detail

When do you think this will be available? This would be great to have. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:05 pm 

Brainfiller

To anyne who is listening....Brainfiller is Da MAN! Jim is the PE who performed the initial training in arc flash for our company. The man knows his business, and has bent over backwards to help us in every way. His website is incredibly informative, make a point to check it out. Welcome to the forum, Jim!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:34 pm 
Sparks Level

It is nice to try to standardize, but in my experience this has always been a distinction between different engineering companies: what level of service does the customer really get.

Much of my career has been successfully filling in the details on projects completed to some other large consultant's 'standard'. Regarding arc flash studies, I have completed MUCH work after the study, on remedial system protection adjustments. This gets noted and is part of my BD effort.

Best wishes, but I'm not holding my breath.....

Gary B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:09 am 

Looking Forward to this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 am 

Is there any progress on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:06 am 
Plasma Level

It's moving kind of slow - as you might expect. The latest draft is actually on my laptop since two of us actually wrote the draft - I'm one of the two. We are tweaking it now and hope to route it to the committee over the summer for comments prior to our next meeting this fall. I am sure there will be lots of debate (the group is good at that) and a few more revisions but I hope it see daylight early next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:15 am 

Is there any work being done to expand IEEE1584 to voltage level beyond 15Kv (transmission levels). If so do you know who is involved in the empirical verification?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:10 am 
Plasma Level

DanM wrote:
Is there any work being done to expand IEEE1584 to voltage level beyond 15Kv (transmission levels). If so do you know who is involved in the empirical verification?

I heard some discussion at a meeting this past Spring about getting EPRI involved with IEEE but it did not work out and EPRI is going their own way. I believe EPRI will be handling the higher voltages i.e. Transmission and Distribution and IEEE will stay on the lower end 15 kV - at least that is the way it appears at the moment.

The NESC January 1, 2009 mandate has everyone scrambling and scratching their head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:43 am 

Brainfiller

Do you have any contact with any one that was involved in developing the NESC 2007 section 41 (primarily the tables). Myself and several other protection engineers from my utility are almost finished with our study. But we would like to include the transmission system; we currently stopped at the sub transmission system due to the limitations of ArcPro (limited to an arc gap of 20 in). I have talk to other large utilities, most are in the same situation we are. But some feel there really has been no empirical verification of a model at the transmission level so they decide not to investigate this level until the research has been performed. I'm really just curious of what size arc gap they used for the higher voltages to develop the tables.

I think the whole NESC rule 410 being applied to the utility industry before have the proper tools was a little bit of a cart before the horse scenario.

I would really appreciate any help

Thanks
Dan