It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:49 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Arc flash data collection
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:33 am 
Sparks Level

The biggest part of arc flash study is the data collection. However, we don't know what fault level it is before we do the analysis. So, what the category of clothing we need for this kind of work? Can we just refer to NFPA 70E table or other guide?

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:05 am 
Plasma Level

Noah wrote:
The biggest part of arc flash study is the data collection. However, we don't know what fault level it is before we do the analysis. So, what the category of clothing we need for this kind of work? Can we just refer to NFPA 70E table or other guide?

Thanks!

Great question. Someone, at some point in time did an SC and PDC study, see if you can get that info. Or you can look at the AIC ratings of the equipment and safely assume the available fault currents are less than that to see if you can use the tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:38 am 

Say I look at the AIC rating on 480V panel and find 65k. For many tasks found in the tables, Note 1 is called out stating that the PPE level provided is suitable for available short circuit current less than 25k.

If I want to take the cover panel off, do some thermography, and replace the cover, what PPE do I wear? It appears to be I can't use the tables!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 am 
Plasma Level

deprico wrote:
Say I look at the AIC rating on 480V panel and find 65k. For many tasks found in the tables, Note 1 is called out stating that the PPE level provided is suitable for available short circuit current less than 25k.

If I want to take the cover panel off, do some thermography, and replace the cover, what PPE do I wear? It appears to be I can't use the tables!

Probally not, but AIC is not the same as available fault current as I am sure you know. You need the available fault current and clearing time of the protective device to determine if you can use the tables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:49 am 

Now if only getting that available fault current information was made easy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52 pm 
Plasma Level

deprico wrote:
Now if only getting that available fault current information was made easy :)

That would spoil the fun. You can do some simple calcs based on the suppling transformer.