It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:34 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: SKM PTW Viewer - can you build a one-line with this
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:04 am 
Sparks Level

Hi all.

I use SKM PTW on a daily basis but only have a single user license with a hardware key. I have a student worker (I work at a university) who mostly spends his time pulling old drawings and product data from our archives for me to work from. He also does some measuring of feeders and records them on the one-line and also goes out and applies the arc flash labels after I've done the study and printed them.

It would be nice if the student could start drawing models by at least getting the basic outline in place (utility, transformers, ATS's busses, PD's, cables, motors etc.) but without the data populated. That would save me some time and get this basic stuff done at a far lower cost that paying me for essentially drafting. I would then verify the basic model and modify as needed, fill in the data and do the analyses etc.

The problem is I can't give up my hardware key for him to draft and can't afford a second 1000 bus license for this. Someone mentioned to me once their company has a "lite" version of PTW that allows the very things I'm talking about. In looking at SKM's site all I see is the PTW Viewer. Specs on it say:

Key Features:
Open, view, print, and export all study results from any project without a full version of PTW.
Create new one-lines from existing components and expand the one-lines.
Modify or create new datablocks and apply them to any one-line and TCC.
Adjust component position in existing one-lines and add annotations.
View different scenarios created from the base project and compare the results of multiple scenarios in the Data Visualizer.
Create customized Arc Flash labels, print Warning Labels and Work Permits.
Access to the Component Editor to view specifications of each component for all designs and projects.
View tabular and graphical representations of completed studies.

Does anyone know if "Create new one-lines from existing components and expand the one-lines." means you can draw a one-line from scratch or do you have to have a project already created with devices already in the one-line that one can then modify? Does anyone here use the Viewer and are able to shed some light on its capabilities or if there is another option you know of?

Thanks.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject: Re: SKM PTW Viewer - can you build a one-line with this
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:46 am 
Plasma Level

The viewer version is just that. It's $995 for up to 2000 buses.

There are a couple other options. There is a 50 bus version that costs $2,995 and has all of the reporting/processing modules stripped out so that really all it can do is one lines called PTW-LT. Note that you can't edit anything bigger than 50 buses though. The second option I can think of that might be just a little bit cheaper is to convert your existing license into a network license. This means that there is a server with the hardware key in it and a floating license that is first-come, first-served. A third option that can achieve the effect of the network license without the price tag is to use a "USB over IP" or "USB over Ethernet" module. These are small devices that cost under $200 that allow you to plug a USB device such as a Hasp key (SKM hardware license key) into them and then connect to the USB port via Ethernet. By turning the connection on and off to the Ethernet/USB device SKM will recognize this as plugging in and unpluggiing the key, giving you the effect of network key without a true network key, if you can tolerate the extra "handling" associated with this hacked configuration.

I can vouch for whether HASP keys work over USB over IP devices because if you have a virtual machine then there is no hardware USB port to use since a virtual machine is pure software. These days, virtual machine software has some kind of USB port mapping function that lets you map USB ports from the host operating system to the virtual one. Prior to virtual machine software that allowed mapping USB ports, I used a USB over IP dongle to make hardware keys "appear" on a virtual machine. In this case the hardware keys were for HMI server software that used a hardware key and this approach allowed the HMI's to run inside virtual machines.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:42 am 
Sparks Level

Thanks Paul. That is as I suspected but wanted to confirm.

I should have pushed for a network license when I bought SKM. I got a discount from SKM to switch from ETAP to SKM as long as I got apples to apples on the switch and promised to give up on using, maintaining and updating ETAP.

My ETAP license was a network license although I was the only user where I work and had the software loaded only on my PC, not on a server. When I got SKM I didn't notice the license was a single user license until months later when I started thinking about my student being able to draw.

Not sure if SKM would swap me licenses or not or if I should just get the basic DAPPER version for the student to build models with rather than argue with them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:27 pm 
Plasma Level

I would at least TRY to see if they will "upgrade" you based on documenting that you had a network license. I would also consider offering that you are going to be training what I'm assuming is graduate level students via the network license. Most companies as you know are quite often interested in supporting education because first they can claim it as a tax writeoff and second because if you used software X in school most likely when you go to work somewhere, you're going to buy software X at work to use so it's free and very good advertising on their part.

At my previous job I kind of went the same way. The plant already had SKM and SKM models before I got there...they had it all the way back into the 1990's when it was DOS based. I also came over from ETAP and in fact the same company has company-wide ETAP licenses but since everything was developed in SKM it's kind of hard to walk away from all that. At one time SKM was the one and only software but now there are others with varied advantages and disadvantages.