It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:02 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: MONITORING EQUIPMENT, 480V -SINGLE PHASE; SHOULD WE LABEL?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:37 pm 

I have a system that requires category 2 arc flash warning labels using the table method. The question is should the monitoring system, which uses 277Vac single phase, be required to have the label as well? Does NFPA 70E allow for engineers to use any discrepancy here?

The components of risk are: (1) the likelihood of occurrence of injury or damage to health, and (2) the potential severity of injury or damage to health.

My scenario:

**Looking at the actual connection of the conductor in the enclosure;

Is it reasonable to say that the bare tip of the wire pushed into the power supply block is not exposed? Examination of insulated cable with no manipulation of cable does not require arc flash PPE. The thought here being that the power supply block itself is not a control circuit that would require maintenance while energized.

Other than the power supply block, no other equipment/components of the communications enclosure (NEMA4) operate above nominal 125 ac or dc. Working on control circuits under these conditions does not require arc flash PPE. The monitoring equipment is commercial. Any maintenance will be provided by the licensed and trained individuals whom installed the equipment. The system would be de energized for any maintenance other than the control circuits. I welcome your thoughts. Thank you for your time.

Profile Send private message