It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:04 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Dates on Labels
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:46 pm 
Sparks Level

OK, i know many out there put dates on the labels that are printed for equipment, but in know that there are many others that do not. Is there any reason to put dates on labels. We are having internal discussions on this very topic. It seems if they are dated and you cross the 5 yr mark and don't update all labels it gets confusing if the study was actually updated or not. Any thoughts?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:16 am 
Sparks Level

The company I work with put dates on their labels. It gives everyone a date that the study was done, and if there have been no changes to the system, they should be accurate. At least with the date on them you'd have a reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:35 am 
Arc Level

I'm not too sure the question was understood. I find it an interesting question, so let me give an example for how I understand it. A facility performs a complete study every five years. At the time of the last study, location A had a change, so A was relabeled with a new IE and date. Location B had no change, and is still labeled with the same IE and old date. Location C had a change, but for some reason the new label never made it to location C, and it retains the old IE and date.

Also consider the same scenario with no dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 am 
Sparks Level

IMHO, I would put on all new labels, with the new date, on all equipment regardless if a change in IE occurred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm 
Plasma Level

cbauer wrote:
IMHO, I would put on all new labels, with the new date, on all equipment regardless if a change in IE occurred.

I would think that this could be quite cumbersome and costly for a facility that is large. Think of a facility such as a GM or Ford plant.

I am thinking that maybe no date is ok as long as there is a mechanism to insure that a review/revision of the study is done every 5 years.

What happens if you initially date the labels when the study is first done and then 6 months later, a change is made somewhere in the plant that requires the study to be revised? Do you then go place new labels with the current revision/date of the study on it? Then 3 months later a breaker fails and a replacement that is not the same trip characteristics is installed. Study revised to incorporate this change, then new labels installed all over.

I really think one could spend alot of time and money on labels depending on the specific plant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:59 am 
Sparks Level

We put the date on the label as well as many other important items. The date on the label will give the reviewer an idea of when the study and labels were produced. The statements in NFPA 70E do not imply that the study and labels need to be reproduced every five years. See the attached example.

The study and electrical distribution system needs to be reviewed to see if any significant changes to the equipment or available fault currents (i.e. utility transformer size changes.) The review should also identify new equipment that has been added that does not have a label.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:03 am 
Sparks Level

Dates on AF Labels

I think dates on labels are a good idea so that there is something to cross reference if in question. I would be sure to document audits; however, I wouldn't replace all labels simply because the date is from 5 years ago. As long as the no changes to the system have been made, the label is still good.