It is currently Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:57 am

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: AF MS Labels
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:53 pm 

For the case where arc flash maintenance switches are utilized to activate instantaneous settings in protective relays how have others labeled the equipment?

My thoughts were to create a secondary label (an “AF MS label”) that will provide the details of: where the AF MS is located, the exact name of the AF MS, and in which system configuration the AF MS is required (this is needed for the case of switchgear with a main-tie-main line-up). My preference would be to create this secondary label detailing the AF MS but what color and wording do you place at the top of the “AF MS label”? I would prefer the new label has a new color other than orange to help it stand out but what are others thoughts on these ideas? How have others labeled equipment when utilizing arc flash maintenance switches?

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:52 pm 

What timing. We were just discussing the same situation. We were leaning towards using 2 labels. One label would have the words "Maintenance Switch Mode" and then we would need to make sure this is covered with our staff via procedures and training.

A few others were thinking just go with one label for MS only and make sure again that policy and people were in line with what needs to happen. The thought with one label is it is simpler but the problem is if someone does not enable the MS.

I too, would be interested to hear what others are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:01 am 
Sparks Level

A client of mine told me they used alarm system IR sensors and door sensors to detect when somebody was in the switchgear or MCC room rather than a keyed maintenance switch.

Whenever the door's open or there's somebody inside, the ratings are lower so the hazard is lower.

That way, they managed to have around 2.2 cal/cm^2 in an MCC very close (about 50') from a 2 MVA transfo and switchgear.

Only one label is used, since if there's somebody in the room to read it, the lower ratings are automatically used. The gear itself can be exposed to more energy, but not people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:30 am 
Sparks Level

[quote="owarner"]For the case where arc flash maintenance switches are utilized to activate instantaneous settings in protective relays how have others labeled the equipment?[QUOTE]

We use a customized label (two fields)that gives the necessary values and information for both “switch OFF” and “switch ON” conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 am 
Arc Level

I have some customers that use two labels, one with a blue top, others use one label with multiple fields, and still others that keep the MS requirements only bringing them out through the electrical work permit process.

My personal preference is to have few labels showing as little information as possible (i.e. voltage, worst case PPE level, boundaries, and date). All of the other pertinent details and exceptions would be available in supporting documents and permits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:15 am 

Quite a few good ideas here. It sounds like everything else, it all comes down to training the crew to know how to handle the situation. Thanks for sharing!