It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:21 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Photos as labels
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:10 am 
Sparks Level

While visiting a client, I noticed they used photos showing what PPE should be worn rather than a list. So for a machine electrical panel where the EI is less than 4 cal/cm^2, they show someone dressed in HRC1 (maintenance people already have HRC1 rated daily wear, so basically they're reminded to wear gloves, faceshield and hard hat). On 120V panels with exposed elements, the photos only show class 0 gloves (that's in Canada, so class 00 gloves are not usual here with all the 600V gear around).

Looked like an easy and very understandable way to post the required PPE.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:15 am 

That's an excellent way to visually communicate safety to workers. However, I hope they are also posting the CSA-Z462's required information. Leaving out the required written arc flash information breaks the standard. Adding custom labels with designs that convey PPE is brilliant! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:10 am 
Plasma Level

As I understand it CSA Z462 has the same standing in Canada as 70E does in the States...it's a guidance document. You don't HAVE to follow it but EH&S will use it for enforcement purposes if there's ever an issue and the standard that you use (company policy) is not effectively of equal value. That's what makes it "voluntary" unlike say CEC Part I which is mandatory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:56 pm 
Sparks Level

I started do this approach awhile back with a customer that had a large english challenged speaking work for force. They loved it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:46 pm 

Thanks for the idea. Sounds like the classic "a picture is worth a thousand words" or at least a bunch of numbers on a label.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:57 pm 

I have been working on my employer's safety supply wiki on arc flash, and I decided to add a PPE chart. I seriously was torn on whether I should use a pictogram system, too--but I decided I would go with just text.

--Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:15 pm 

Now people focus more on visual displays rather than text. Attractive design attract a lot of people to have at-least one look at it because no one got time to stop and read text.