It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:02 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: PPE Category, Level, Number...?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:01 am 

Those of you that list a category and incident energy on the arc flash label, what do you call the category?

Level
PPE Level
Category
HRC < pretty sure that one is not a good idea.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:23 pm 

JoeB wrote:
Those of you that list a category and incident energy on the arc flash label, what do you call the category?

Level
PPE Level
Category
HRC < pretty sure that one is not a good idea.

Your question is somewhat unclear. 70E, in Article 130, tells us equipment must be labeled with the following:

1) ONE of the following:
a. Available incident energy and the corresponding working distance
b. Minimum arc rating of clothing
c. Required level of PPE
d. Highest Hazard/Risk Category for the equipment.

2) Nominal system voltage

3) Arc flash boundary.

If by "What do you call the category," you are refering to the nomenclature on the label, you'd call it "Hazard / Risk Category:"... not sure what you mean by "pretty sure that one is not a good idea" but I'm guessing you're thinking an abbreviation isn't a good idea. You'd be right, in my opinion.

The attached image is a label on some equipment at a petrochemical refinery I frequent. It should help you out a bit, I'd guess.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:49 pm 

Here is a bit of clarification.

If you use item 1c from NFPA's list i.e. "Required Level of PPE" does everyone refer to this on the label as "Level", or do you call it "category" or something else? It is just a terminology issue.

My comment about HRC not being a good idea is that even though 70E seems to allow the HRC to be on the label with the incident energy based on the wording "select at least one", my understanding is you should not use HRC AND incident energy at the same time.

We were just debating this among ourselves. A few don't think it matters but I'm thinking "Level" since "catagory" sounds too similar to HR Category.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:31 pm 

We just call it "Level". As an example, if we calculate something like 6.5 cal/cm2 we'll also say "Level 2" PPE which for us is defined as a minimum arc rating of 8 cal/cm2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:16 am 

We call it "Hazard Category" and then teach all electricians that the required PPE is selected based the hazard category. My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter if you call it category or level as long as you are consistent throughout the plant and your personnel are taught exactly what to wear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:47 pm 

We ran into a problem since we wanted to use 12 cal PPE. 12 cal does not fit easily (actually not at all) into the traditional Category 1, 2, 3, 4 mold.

We can't call 12 cal PPE Level 3 which requires 25 cal minimum, and if we call it Level 2 that makes it seem like it is only good for 8 cal and not 12.

We gave up on categories and began listing the minimum required arc rating instead.

i.e. Minimum Arc Rating = 12 cal/cm2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:37 am 

Levels can be defined specific for your facility. For example if it turns out you have many areas with an incident greater than 8 cal/cm2 and less than 12 cal/cm2 and you have an approved 12 cal/cm2 PPE configuration, you can define Level 2 PPE to cover up to 12 cal/cm2. As long as you define and train based on your specific corporate policy.