It is currently Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:15 pm

ekstra   ara
 Post subject: Graphics on arc flash labels (copyright or not?)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 am 

I just have a question regarding using graphics on arc flash labels. I would like to use this picture [attached below] on our arc flash labels but I am concern with copyright. I don't see this picture commonly used so I wan wondering if anyone know if we need permission or not to use to graphic?

Thank you for your help in advance.

-Vong

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 am 

The general rule of thumb is to consider a image as copyrighted unless you know it to be public domain, in particular with such a specialized image.

Where did the image come from? Knowing the source of an image typically will help determine the copyright status. This type of image typically would have been created by one of the label printer manufacturers and supplied as a part of their symbols library. That makes it copyrighted.

BTW a good source of public domain images is Wikki Commons. I checked for this pictogram, but it is not there. (Note: not everything on Wikki Commons is public domain. Check the license included for each image.)

Does your company have a marketing department? If so they may have an illustrator who could make a similar image you can use. Also, depending on the brand of label printer you have, your label printer supplier may have a similar image in their symbols library or, if not, be willing to make this image for you. (I work for the company that makes DuraLabel printers and we'll often make specialized images and pictograms our customers need, when a customer asks for one).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:57 pm 

Thanks for the reply Steve.